• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrel compatibility

michaelperez

First Name
Michael

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
I use that mandrel it has a 1/4 shaft for all makes of kits inc PSI AND MANY OTHERS

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
The mandrel is only half of the solution....
If you only turn slimlines/streamlines or other 7mm tubed pens then the tube sits on the mandrel and the bushes become the depth guides as to how much material to remove.
If you turn bigger tubed pens then the bushes become more important as they are stepped to sit inside the tube to take up the slack between the mandrel and the tube and again give you guidance as to material removal.
I hope this is clearer for you. :thinks::thinks:

michaelperez

First Name
Michael
Thank you so much. We are just starting and as we continue researching maybe more confused, the idea of turning pen is getting more complicated than we thought at the beginning (just buy a kit and a simple mandrel and we thought we were ready), but fortunately we found some info and this forum that is helping us to have a better understanding.
We don’t want to give up but we have to import everything and don’t want buy things that maybe do not match or aren’t useful.
Please any advise is very welcome, at this point we are about to buy some pen kits from craft supplies USA and the pen mandrel compressor from Axminster maybe some extra tubes and that’s all. We don’t know what else are we going to need to be able to turn this kits into beautiful pens.
We look to buy some bushing and oh my god I can’t really be more lost don’t know which one to choose, should I go for the more beautiful ones because I couldn’t find any inside diameter and outside diameter not even in the pen kits and in the bushing, they just mention the name model in USA and the part number in UK (maybe my mistake because I’m buying in different stores).:rolling:
Thank you

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Michael, I use that same mandrel, which is universal. If you turn for different pen kits you will need the specific bushings for that particular kit. All the different bushings will fit your mandrel.
When you purchase a pen kit then buy the bushings to suit.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Bushes are generally kit specific, but some are interchangeable.....
Personally if it were me I would try to one stop shop and get as much as I could in one place Axminster do some good kits although they can be rebadged PSI kits... Buy the bushes at the same time!
A good start would be some 7mm slimline +bushes(although these usually come with the mandrel.... Next possibly Sierra kits these are a good one piece tube and are interchangeable with loads of other kits ie the Sirocco or Ares... For fountain pens anything on the jnr Gent side would be good....
All these kits are great starters, but will serve you well as you advance too as most custom casters or blank makers cater for these generic kits.... :thinks::thinks:

michaelperez

First Name
Michael
Flexo, hello, I have been advised to star with turning between centers and I really like this idea I think it’s more simple and less complicated, now I’m thinking in buying a 60° dead center and a small tool rest, fortunately I already have a digital caliper.
Thank you so much for all the recommendations.
Greetings

michaelperez

First Name
Michael
alan morrison Thank you so much, now maybe I’m going to buy the 60° live center and a dead center and try to start with TBC considering that I’m going to import everything I prefer going simple but with quality tools.
greetings

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
This was to be my recommendation ie between centres to save the masses of bushes. I do use mandrels as well because I had them first.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).