• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My 2nd Pen

markmcg

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Hi,
Took some advice & used friction polish. Used on a pink ivory blank...I like it, though would have like the darker stripes.

Attachments

• pink ivory pen.jpg
    pink ivory pen.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 48

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Very nice:thumbs:

Peter

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
Very nice Mark!!:thumbs:
To darken the turned rings you can hold some 20 gage wire
about a foot long with pliers at each end. Run the lathe and hold the wire into the
ring until it starts smoking. You now have a permanent darkened ring.
I made up ''handles'' for the wire. 2 dowels about 3/4''dia, 4'' long, drilled a small hole
and tied the wire into each one.

Jim

Grand Master
A very nice pen Mark, nice finish you have there .. :thumbs:

Regarding the wires, you can buy some from here, or having seen them you could make your own .. :wink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Guitar strings work well for me.

Mark excellent choice using Pink Ivory thirty odd yrs ago it was really scarce the story told only an African Chief then his eldest son could fell this tree once every pancake day. The pen is a ripper pic shows how well you made it.

Peter.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Personally I prefer a small off cut of high pressure laminate such as Formica over wire or guitar strings for burning lines, easier to control & none of the dangers associated with hot wire.
Very nice pen Mark :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).