• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My Stash of Conkerberry Now

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The big log is hundreds of yrs growing Obvious the white ants love creating hollows. The slice to show what its like in this rare as low growing tree.From the Northern Territory.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Pleasing color. Will it remain or darken with age?

I agonised over this question over thirty years, consulted as many authorities possible. The answer is yes but dont leave the cut logs in the sun, the largest one had been by the timber getter for months. I gave it a slight hurry up and there was the colour waiting. Age does not diminish the colour which is so securely enclosed. The timber is heavy. I will get a new blade for my big band saw before I cut some up.

Weather 4-10 C today a forever record of rain for us, love the rain after so many years of drought. I t keeps us sustained, I have no recollection nor my father before me of a weather event across Australia. My Dad an accountant kept a rain guage etc logged the weather he was a fanatic gardener et al. Making progress slowly no pain but the cold prohibits or limits shed time..

I compare the density of Conkerberry with Olive tree wood, both tough,heavy and slow drying, slow growing, the former more of a shrub tree.

My mate from Cootamundra the most expert of tree getters and identification finds Conkerberry an enigma he travels right through Sth Australia, Northern Territory, Nth Queensland. The tree is low growing it appears to have a symbiotic relationship with other tree roots. He is tough, resilient and I look forward to him coming over for the Working With Wood Show in the next month or so.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
It could be more plentiful after the rains now it will grow but 100 yrs is a minimum time frame for width. it is protected and rare. Very slow growing. I have sought it out for nearly 40 yrs. It only grows in a few places there are different varieties.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).