• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New acrylic pens finished off today

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Found acrylic blanks I bought from Axminster when first starting out about 18months ago. Was to scared to try so stayed with wood. My original pen I had a bit off guidance on how to do it. 2nd attempt was OK and the third I got a catch and part of acrylic broke off. Didn't know about painting the the tubes till all where glued in. So another learning curve to remember. So finished two Slimline pens and one Sierra with gold and blue enamel fittings to match tube, but the enamel on pen is a lot darker...
I thought I already posted this morning, so as I couldn't find it I have done it again. If I have duplicated it then powers that be can take one down........

Attachments

• 20230918_132059.jpg
    20230918_132059.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

MullAndy

First Name
Andy
Sometimes different colours can create a different effect, I used to use nail varnish and had various colours on hand to use. Black or white are commonly used or just try some a similar colour to your blank.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have 5 basic colours of cheap acrylic paint..
Black, white, red, blue and green I choose what ever is closest..... Ie silver gets white, or a purple blank gets blue..
I dip a Q tip in and paint the inside of the drilled hole, with deep blanks paint from either end😜

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
The Works do a whole range of colours in tubes for a few £££. Good to try things out.
I bought mine over a year ago, and still plenty left.

Mike

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
First a very nice trio of pens well done you second Im in agreement with Mark on colours only difference is I use spray paint on the tubes

Nicholas Andrews

First Name
Nicholas
Found acrylic blanks I bought from Axminster when first starting out about 18months ago. Was to scared to try so stayed with wood. My original pen I had a bit off guidance on how to do it. 2nd attempt was OK and the third I got a catch and part of acrylic broke off. Didn't know about painting the the tubes till all where glued in. So another learning curve to remember. So finished two Slimline pens and one Sierra with gold and blue enamel fittings to match tube, but the enamel on pen is a lot darker...
I thought I already posted this morning, so as I couldn't find it I have done it again. If I have duplicated it then powers that be can take one down........
A lovely collection; thank you for sharing.
I do not believe it necessary to always paint the brass pen tube. It depends upon the density ( quality) of the blank. The very best will be dense enough not to need a camouflaged blank. Sadly, there are too many cheap (in quality but not necessarily price) blanks out there which will require painting if the brass is not to shine through On completion.
Nicholas Andrews.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
I have 5 basic colours of cheap acrylic paint..
Black, white, red, blue and green I choose what ever is closest..... Ie silver gets white, or a purple blank gets blue..
I dip a Q tip in and paint the inside of the drilled hole, with deep blanks paint from either end😜
What about orange??