• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New Lathe Ideas - Benchtop

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Interesting that on the 2 occasions I've seen people doing demos in Axminster stores, both times they used Jet lathes, not Axminster lathes.

I found that intriguing at the time, but still bought the AH-1218 which so far has been great (6 months) I have one niggle with it but I caused the problem so would be unfair to mention here.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Record power reckon they are making all there machines in house but to be honest I dont believe them a few years ago they started manufacturing in India and the quality went right down the pan now I dont know any company who would shut up shop in one country move to another then back again they may be assembling in house they do say they have moved back in house but I dont believe them come on what just like that a foundry and engineering for all the machines with there badge on
Axminster another one who have slipped with quality as of late there machines are no were near as good as they were ans my whole workshop was full of there machines at one time but not any more
If your choice is between record, axminster or jet I know what one I would go for

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Record power reckon they are making all there machines in house but to be honest I dont believe them a few years ago they started manufacturing in India and the quality went right down the pan now I dont know any company who would shut up shop in one country move to another then back again they may be assembling in house they do say they have moved back in house but I dont believe them come on what just like that a foundry and engineering for all the machines with there badge on
Axminster another one who have slipped with quality as of late there machines are no were near as good as they were ans my whole workshop was full of there machines at one time but not any more
If your choice is between record, axminster or jet I know what one I would go for

First of all I agree that Jet are undoubtedly the best quality but well outside Fred's budget.

I also agree that the quality of Axminster's "hobby" range is nowhere near what it used to be but their trade and industrial stuff is still better than most. The AT1416VS for example has a proper inverter rather than some kind of electronic speed control and when I looked at one in the Warrington store the build quality seemed on a par with the Jet machines on display. Again, that is outside Fred's budget.

As for Record Power I don't know where you heard that they have moved all production back to the UK but that is not what they say on their website from which this is a quote:

"We work with carefully selected trading partners from the UK, Europe and Far East to provide the best quality products possible as well as continuing to manufacture some products in the UK."

As far as I know, much of their machinery is still made in the Far East. In recent years they have had a bad press in terms of quality and customer service but do seem to be making some effort to improve. If you want to hear a horror story about one of their bigger lathes just ask Neil Lawton. However, the DML305 that I recommended has had some good reports and as you said earlier it is an Australian Woodfast design although whether it is actually made in Australia or elsewhere I have no idea. For Fred's budget I still think it would be a better choice than the Charnwood especially if he can pick up a second hand VS for a good price.

Of course a second hand Jet, like the one in Phil's post above would be even better.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil

Woody,

Last time I spoke the guy who runs that spares department he told me that the casings were all being bought back from India and were to be made in Leeds (or it might have been Sheffield, I cant remember) but it was definately being made for them, not by them. I cant see that any company would even consider making them from scratch, its not worth while, but to that end every comapany is an assembler, it just varies according to the degree.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Interesting that on the 2 occasions I've seen people doing demos in Axminster stores, both times they used Jet lathes, not Axminster lathes.

I found that intriguing at the time, but still bought the AH-1218 which so far has been great (6 months) I have one niggle with it but I caused the problem so would be unfair to mention here.

Phil,

I think all the axminster employees would freely admit that the Jet is a better build quality than the own brand, but then the rolls royce used to be a better build than the Landrover, but I needed and could afford a landrover!

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I also agree that the quality of Axminster's "hobby" range is nowhere near what it used to be but their trade and industrial stuff is still better than most. The AT1416VS for example has a proper inverter rather than some kind of electronic speed control and when I looked at one in the Warrington store the build quality seemed on a par with the Jet machines on display. Again, that is outside Fred's budget.

As far as I know, much of their machinery is still made in the Far East. In recent years they have had a bad press in terms of quality and customer service but do seem to be making some effort to improve. If you want to hear a horror story about one of their bigger lathes just ask Neil Lawton. However, the DML305 that I recommended has had some good reports and as you said earlier it is an Australian Woodfast design although whether it is actually made in Australia or elsewhere I have no idea. For Fred's budget I still think it would be a better choice than the Charnwood especially if he can pick up a second hand VS for a good price.

Walter,
Steven used to be a member of the Record Power Customer Services Supporters Club when Neil Lawton was chairman, he used to go around singing that rather moronic song by Alexei Sayle (renamed) "Hallo Steven, gotta new CL3 motor". He has quite a collection unless the pikeys have been round to pick up the scrap!!

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Walter,
Steven used to be a member of the Record Power Customer Services Supporters Club when Neil Lawton was chairman, he used to go around singing that rather moronic song by Alexei Sayle (renamed) "Hallo Steven, gotta new CL3 motor". He has quite a collection unless the pikeys have been round to pick up the scrap!!

Bought a new Record CL3 & 4 motors later finally got to use the bu@@er. A right pallava that was. incidentally the last motor I got lasted until late last year when I swapped it for a VS unit. Must admit that Record were good.............at collecting the duff motors, pity they weren't quite as good at putting a decent one on the lathe in the first place!!!.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Walter,
:nooidea:
I've never been chairman of anything, as far as I am aware!
Was it a paying job, does someone owe me money for it?:thumbs:
Regards,
Neil

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have the Record DML305-VS in the Woodfast series it has never given me a single hiccup.
I bought it as used but it had very little use then, it was about 15 months into it's 5year warranty.
I would class it as hobby range but it has done some heavy work and been used literally all day everyday for weeks on end WITHOUT the slightest complaint from it or me.
It now owes me nothing and stands itself in extremely good profit with no signs of letting me down in the near future :pray:

If it packed up tomorrow I could not complain and really would not know what to replace it with other than building another Myford from Ebay parts.

Firefrode

Well yet again thanks for the benefit of all your knowledge.
I have sourced many lathes on the net and have just accepted an order for a Record Power DML305.
I contacted all the dealers I could, to see who could give me the best offer, it came in at £299 including P&P all in.
I managed to get a hands on with a record last night and was pleased with it,:thumbs: so that swung it for me.
As this is 3/4 x 16 and MT1 I can use all my current tools and chucks etc.

Yet again thank you all for your input it was really appreciated.

Regards

Fred

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good on yer Fred I hope you have a lot of fun on it look forward to seeing what you make

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).