• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New wood lathe sees me join on Christmas Day...

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I also have a metal lathe, but my wife bought me the wood lathe for Christmas so I have to use that! I don't know if I can get any other work holders to screw on. I think the thread is 18x1.5 metric, but have no way of checking it.

Martin

Yes, your thread is M18x1.5 to fit a chuck you would need to make an adapter at 18x2.5. If you have a metal lathe and it has a set of change wheels you could make one by screw cutting it on the lathe. You would just need a metric carbide insert and a suitable tool holder.

MrTin

Apprentice Member
First Name
Martin
Er, no. Couldn't do that at school and certainly can't get my head round it now! Also, the lathe doesn't have change wheels or the power to screw cut. Never bothered me because I knew I'd never need it.

I've just made a wooden adaptor that hold the work between centres And holds the sides of the blank for a short distance, so it can't slip. I would then finish the blank for the last 1/4" by hand. It's all I can do. In future I'll cut the blanks a little long and then cut the last bit off.
I really would have thought that i could get a chuck for the wood lathe with an 18 x 1.5 thread.

But I will not be beaten.

Martin

MrTin

Apprentice Member
First Name
Martin
Just screwing and shaping a 60 degree point inside a 7mm bushing sized hole should only take 5 mins at most; hopefully you can open this badly knocked up PDF file to see what I mean and you make it on your lathe since you wont need the tailstock until you make the pen.

Haha, that's roughly what I just made, Pierre! I already had a wooden centre for the hole/tube, so I reduced its sides to 20mm apart (basically a square), then cut and glued two cheeks to the sides opposite each other so they hold the sides of the blank whilst allowing the centre to go in the hole, still. Now it can't slip. Is there a trick to getting a square blank down to a cylinder without it catching ? That's when the thing slips.

Martin

MrTin

Apprentice Member
First Name
Martin
Well, it worked. Two cheeks , one either side of the centre all fixed to the faceplate. The blank didn't slip and two videos taught me how to use the tools properly. I sharpened them and off we went. Finished with a skew and got a nice straight, long taper, with angles that blend into the nib. ProKraft Rollster in graphite. 6 coats of Cellulose sanding sealer and a nice thick coat of Bri-Wax, buffed up. Very pleased with this.
Now to make a special mandrel for the pencils.

Martin135200665_2874218782806808_1821780383929680670_n.jpg

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Not trying to be critical but someone who has owned a metal lathe for years and was a pattern maker. But can not cut a thread and thinks he can turn pens.
Using a Lidle lathe that is been rubbished on every pen turning forum worldwide is not a good way to get into the hobby.
One of the biggest problems you will have with the lathe you have is you can not get up close to a pen blank because the tool rest is too wide. Check out the pen turning forums there are lots of debates on this lathe.
If you have any friends with a metal lathe they will turn you an adapter in an hour to allow you to fit a chuck

MrTin

Apprentice Member
First Name
Martin
There is no reason why a patternmaker should be able to cut a thread on a lathe. And a large thread on a modelmaker's lathe without change wheels is not possible anyway.
The Lidl's lathe now works perfectly. I have made another pen on it and a 'phone stand.
I don't like glass finishes on wood. I like to feel that it's wood. The grain is filled and it's waxed.

I have no idea how it happened, but I just once again tried the 3 and four jaw chucks from the metal lathe on the Lidl lathe and they did actually go on and tighten safely. I can't think what I was doing on Christmas day when I couldn't get them to fit, But today I used the 4 jaw on the Lidl lathe to make the 'phone holder. Worked a treat. The people arguing the toss on forums about the tool can go to Hell. Mine is fine and was a lovely Christmas present from my wife and I am enjoying the new hobby which is why she bought it for me. As to the rest, yes it is too wide for pens, so I have a friend making me a narrower one as he has welding gear. I don't know anyone else with a lathe, but now I don't need it. Since I have no reason to need the wide rest I may just cut the ends off anyway.

I don't think I can turn pens, I know I can. It's hardly rocket science, once one has the knack with the tools. I've just thought of doing it before.

I thought forums were supposed to be helpful. Your attitude stinks, so I shall not be troubling this slow and ponderous forum again.

Martin

Bill

Apprentice Member
First Name
William ( Bill) please
Martin. Welcome
If looking for a club try Kings Lynn woodturners, only about 13 /14 miles from you they must have a web site. I know none of the clubs are meeting at present due to corvid but you get to know other local clubs and turners. I only know them from meeting them at Sandringham Craft Fairs and they always seem a friendly lot as are most woodturners. All the best

Bill

Apprentice Member
First Name
William ( Bill) please
Martin I had written the message above before I read the reply from someone about your lathe and your response, and I'm sorry to read them, but you will always get some who post a criticism of bits of kit that maybe they think is below them

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).