• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Newbie with plenty of curiousity!

busby42

Apprentice Member
First Name
Sam
Hi all,

I am new here and new to woodturning generally but got hooked by my eldest wanting to take this up as a hobby so something to for me to do with both my boys.

Seems like a lot of great advice and camaraderie here which persuaded me to sign up and not just try and google/youtube my way to experience! Hopefully I won't bore anyone with too many silly questions! :goesred:

So far, I've started on a budget with an old Record Power DML24 lathe a friend was getting rid of and with my son have turned a pen and letter opener and loved it, already experienced my first blank failure and am slowly winning the war with my skew (it comprehensively won the first few battles though).

I hope to pick brains here and maybe become good enough to show off some work! There are some awesome craftspeople and artist here though!

All the best
Sam

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi Sam - welcome to the fold. Ask as many questions as you like, no matter how silly you think they are. Everybody here had to start somewhere.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Hi Sam. Welcome from the U.S. The dreaded skew. I feel I am fairly competent using one but it still bites me sometimes. It works great for scraping CA off the ways.:ciggrin:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Vic, A big welcome aboard for you and your two boys.

I guarantee, unless you are real jackasses, that within six months you will all be posting pens on this forum which will be as good as those you have seen so far. All it will take is experience and the ability to learn from your mistakes. You have an advantage - a quorum of three to exchange views and tactics! Good luck, guys!

Bob.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum, show us what you have made so far and keep up with the skew, the best tool there is.

Peter

busby42

Apprentice Member
First Name
Sam
Wow, so many messages already!

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. Dalboy, I am in Rugby. wm460...it feels like that here too sometimes! The best benefit to the coming early winter nights is...more time in the garage with the lathe:friendly_wink:

Sam

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome Sam you poor ol bugger smitten by the turning bug and now you're mixing with this mad lot all hope is lost book an appointment with your doctor because you will need some medication soon :pint::pint::pint::pint: they drove me to this

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hello Sam and welcome to the Asylum mate, as far as picking brains, if you can find mine you can pick all you want ..:rolling:, you will get on fine here mate, have fun!

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Hello and welcome Sam, silly questions are allowed, some members here have a very wide range of knowledge that we tap, ask and you shall be given, seek and you shall find. Have you got many chisels, and what method of sharpening do you have?
:thumbs::thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Sam the concept and approach sound great with your family participation, hope you have room for more than one lathe. Welcome from over here.

Peter.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Hi Sam. I am also new to turning and would love to give advice on the few topics I do know about. Mainly fixing broken and blown out jobs. :wink:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Sam welcome to the forums.... you will pick up some great tips here plus some bloody fanciful ideas that probably wont work:wink: ...enjoy your new hobby but keep the spending down as it can become very expensive.:thumbs:

busby42

Apprentice Member
First Name
Sam
Hi John,

Thank you, will need to be asking very shortly methinks. I have a set of beginners HSS tools (by Nielson) that I picked up for a good price. I have small bench grinder and recently purchased a sharpening jig although not used it yet. For my first turns I hand sharpened on the grinder and a honing stone but not too aggressively...sounds a bit maverick now saying this out loud...

Regards
Sam

busby42

Apprentice Member
First Name
Sam
Hi Sam welcome to the forums.... you will pick up some great tips here plus some bloody fanciful ideas that probably wont work:wink: ...enjoy your new hobby but keep the spending down as it can become very expensive.:thumbs:

Hi Ed,

Yes...very expensive and still finding things that I didn't know I just had to have! I've told the eldest he'll have to put towards the material now I've bought the kit! He can start by washing the car while I turn.

Thank you for the welcome
Sam

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).