• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

lawman1988

Registered
First Name
joseph
can some tell me what would be a good starting lathe. also when cutting the blanks .how long do u cut the blank thanks.

mattkemp

First Name
matt
Hi welcome to forum i have a record dml 36sh but i would recommend looking second hand near to yourself this is what i done and i got mine for £100 with 4 chisels and has given me hours of pleasure but i would suggest buy as big as you can afford in good condition i.e bearings and pulleys and belts all in good condition​ and see if it's what you expected

Regards

Matt

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Lathe choice is down to different factors the main one being what do you want to turn with it and are you likely to want to turn other things Quite often people start turning one type of thing then change their minds and find tha the lathe they have brought is not capable to do the new type of turning.
So have a good think abouit what it is you want to turn besides pens after all that is why you have joined this merry band of lunatics that need medication. By the way welcome to the nut house

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Your choices are multiplied by the country you live in prices are far cheaper also. Go find a wood turning group or two and search out what they have and the members use. Like buying a car or truck what do you want to achieve with the purchase.What space do you have.
Welcome to the forum Joseph. Enjoy Easter.

Peter.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Welcome to the funhouse Joseph, sound advice has been given to you already about lathe choice. Blanks are normally cut slightly longer than the Brass tubes, 1/8" 1/4" sometimes more with acrylics. :thumbs::banana::thumbs:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi Joseph - welcome to the forum

My advise would be to have a rough idea of budget before you make any decisions. One persons idea of a beginners lathe may be someone elses idea of a nightmare, or conversely thy may think its the height of luxury if its beyond their own means. It is also the case that you will have access to slightly different lathes, with possibly different specs in the US. So maybe tell us how much you are thinking of spending, tell us the lathes you've already identified as contenders within your budget, and wait for the opinions to roll in.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).