• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Note to self

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
13mm is not 12.5mm :rolling:

Thought I could get away with using a 13mm drill bit instead of a 12.5mm one, mainly because I do not have a 12.5mm.
On hindsight I should of used a 1/2" but have only thought of that whilst typing this out. :goesred:

Smothered it with thick gorilla glue and will have a look on Thursday as busy tomorrow.

Stupid mistake to make :vangry:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I know that feeling I have two sets of metric drill bits from 1mm to 13mm in .5 increments, three sets of imperial in 1/64 increments up to 1/2" a set of number bits and a few over 1/2" blacksmiths drill bits and yet when I need one it is an oddball size like 6.2mm so still have to go and buy some.
That is the way of the world no matter what you have there is still something that you need:thinks:

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
I also have the imperials in 1/64 increments to 1/2" but for whatever reason I just have not got round to getting a metric set.

Ordering these on Friday (a relation is ordering them as a birthday prezzie) Multi Drill Bit Set,25pcs/set 1mm-13mm HSS Titanium Steel Bits with Carry Case for Drilling in Cast Lron, non Ferrous Metals, Alloyed and Non-Alloyed Material : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools so will be ok Saturday :whistling:

I just don't know what possessed me to use a 13mm when the 1/2" would of been spot on :rolling:

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Going to re name you, CJ.... Calamity John:fart::fart:
BTW a friend once told me a couple of wraps of masking tape also shrinks oversized holes:winking::winking:

darrenreid1967

First Name
Darren
I never say I have made a mistake, but have created a learning. If a bowl chips out, I then have created a design opportunity. I have imperial with 1/64" increments up to 1/2", metric with .5mm increments to 13mm, letter drills A to Z, wire drills and 2 weird arse metric sets that have drills with 1.2, 1.4 up to 6mm, then it goes up in .5mm increments to 10mm and then 11, 12, 13mm. Love to know what they were smoking in the original design meeting for those sets.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
[MENTION=2366]Garno[/MENTION] just as a note if you have imperial drill set with 64th increments then you could have used a 31/64th drill bit as that is 12.3031mm and considering that drill bit do tend to drill slightly oversize should give you somewhere very close to the fit you want. Another solution is to drill under-size and carefully file to fit the tube I have done this in the past with good results.

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
[MENTION=2366]Garno[/MENTION] just as a note if you have imperial drill set with 64th increments then you could have used a 31/64th drill bit as that is 12.3031mm and considering that drill bit do tend to drill slightly oversize should give you somewhere very close to the fit you want. Another solution is to drill under-size and carefully file to fit the tube I have done this in the past with good results.

It's taken me thr best part of a year to drill through the centre on both ends :banana: If I introduced filing into the equation :nooidea::nooidea:

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I only buy sets of bits for rough drilling. For important jobs I buy drill bits the correct size as I need them. Plenty of bargains to be had on the auction site For drill bits.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I only buy sets of bits for rough drilling. For important jobs I buy drill bits the correct size as I need them. Plenty of bargains to be had on the auction site For drill bits.

I tend to get mine from either UKdrills or tracey tools for very accurate hols in metal I even go as far as using reamers

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Yes UK drills are quite competitive on price. They don’t always have what I’m after though. I recently bought a 600mm long 6mm twist drill! On the flip side I often find stub drills useful on my milling machine. I too use reamers when required but it’s not that often and they don’t cut too well in plastic.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I went through all my new drills and calipered them and using window envelopes wrote their actual real size,you will be amazed at the results.

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Managed to find these, 6mm - 10mm rising in 0.1mm increments, I have been hunting for these for months.
UKdrills have not had any for months until now. The price here is not bad some places want in excess of £100 for them.

41pc HSS Metal Set

I also got these as they cover sizes from 1mm to 13mm rising in 0.5mm increments, for £11 they are a no brainer.

25pc HSS Metal Set

The first set I have linked really are a good bargain. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Got the last set as it is cheaper getting these than buying the 10.5mm, 11mm, 11.5mm, 12mm, 12.5mm and 13mm separately.

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Both sets have arrived today and they look semi decent.

Hats off to UKdrills for yet another speedy service, I dont know how they can do them for that price :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Love the thought Derek of using a reamer I would never make a Streamline ,Slimline without using my 1/4 inch reamer on every one. What with the variations in part sizes and brass tube variations. Being able to adjust the reamer is wonderful,I only opened it a little once and never needed to do this again. Drills are incredible for the work they perform. All the best mate.
:thumbs:

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I’ve bought quite a lot of bits from a local discount shop. All have been good quality bits in what must have seemed like odd sizes to some buyers like 6.8 and 6.9mm etc. Sadly they haven’t had any for a while except for standard imperial sizes. I’ve bought them though as they’re still good for many jobs and the prices are very good.

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
I’ve bought quite a lot of bits from a local discount shop. All have been good quality bits in what must have seemed like odd sizes to some buyers like 6.8 and 6.9mm etc. Sadly they haven’t had any for a while except for standard imperial sizes. I’ve bought them though as they’re still good for many jobs and the prices are very good.

I have come to realise that one can never have too many drill bits :thumbs: (Unless they are all one size :wink:)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).