• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Open house

MikeD

Registered
Well we are back home after a thoroughly enjoyable day made extra special by our hosts Vi and Woody :claps:
The day was full of witty banter ( or bitty wanter from some of the more confused attendees :funny: ) and a lot of good advice and mentoring from some of the more experienced and generous members. Woody's demonstration of bowl turning made it look soooooo easy. Brian's tooling ideas will certainly be followed up particularly as he provided a start with a tool role and extension set.
I seemed to make a lot of trips to my car to carry all the things I was given for free.
There were some shenanigans with the raffle when Carol tried to palm me off with the thing I had put into the raffle as a prize - something I had been trying to get rid of for years :whistling:
The food was excellent and we must have used up all Vi's stock of teabags with the amount of tea that was produced

hope there is another one soon :bwink:

Attachments

• The Gathering.JPG
    The Gathering.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 33

Jim

Grand Master
Really had a great day, Violet and Woody were perfect hosts, great curry from Violet, not forgetting Helen's curry puffs ... Meeting the other members was a pleasure, thou we were pleased that Woody had tamed Brian before we arrived, surprising what a big bone will do ... Terry was up to his old tricks nicking tools from a shed ... David was in trouble due to filling two carrier bags of goodies at Turners Retreat ... Phill was in his elements playing with Woody's big lathe, Mike took it well when i said i had some corian in the boot of the car that he could have only to find that i had left it at home ... Doug was riding shotgun on our way to Turners Retreat, in his excitement he had a senior moment and diverted us off the beaten track ...

All this going on and the Elder Lemon Woody took everything in his stride and held the pack together ... :thumbs:

Thanks for a great day guys and gals, here is to the next one ...

Terry, i didn't have to buy anything the war office looked after me because i had been a good boy and only ate two of Helen's Curry Puffs ... :bwink:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Well we are back home after a thoroughly enjoyable day made extra special by our hosts Vi and Woody :claps:
The day was full of witty banter ( or bitty wanter from some of the more confused attendees :funny: ) and a lot of good advice and mentoring from some of the more experienced and generous members. Woody's demonstration of bowl turning made it look soooooo easy. Brian's tooling ideas will certainly be followed up particularly as he provided a start with a tool role and extension set.
I seemed to make a lot of trips to my car to carry all the things I was given for free.
There were some shenanigans with the raffle when Carol tried to palm me off with the thing I had put into the raffle as a prize - something I had been trying to get rid of for years :whistling:
The food was excellent and we must have used up all Vi's stock of teabags with the amount of tea that was produced

hope there is another one soon :bwink:

Thanks for the first pic Mike ...Who's who ??:thinks:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Seated left to right, Woody , Jim, Brian

Back left to right Steve, Doug, Mike, JimJam,(David) Terry, Phil

Though I could be wrong :rolling::whistling:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Terry is the one in the photo who is waving the bedan chisel he wheedled out of Woody - that man has NO SHAME. Chairman of the Plonkers my *rse, he's Chairman of the Blaggers!

Fan-bl**dy-tastic day thanks largely to Woody and Vi, ably assisted by Helen in the curry puff department. Lovely to meet all of the attendees, and I can now say in all honesty that I don't have to wish for a lesson from the best turner in the UK - I've had one! Woody helped me turn my first bowl and I'm right proud of it. Pics to follow once we are home.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good to hear you all had a good day, knew you would @ Woody & Vi's.
Sorry we couldn't get there but Paula was too unwell to travel down last night & early this morning, never mind, there's always next year.

Hi Steven please give Paula our love and wish her well for us every one was asking about you both

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Young Steven you were noticeable by your absence, don't worry though I spouted enough bull5h1t for both of us:tongue:
Sorry to hear Paula is unwell give her our best regards. Love to all init?

At every party there are two kinds of people: those who want to go home and those who don’t. The trouble is, they are usually married to each other.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Cheers Woody & Brian,

Was really looking forward to seeing your (old) ugly mugs again & some new ones, but hey ho, them's the breaks. Paula's been laid up all day, we did wake up at 6am to see if Paula was any better but she weren't so we stayed at home.
Like I said before, there's always next year.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Cheers Woody & Brian,

Was really looking forward to seeing your (old) ugly mugs again & some new ones, but hey ho, them's the breaks. Paula's been laid up all day, we did wake up at 6am to see if Paula was any better but she weren't so we stayed at home.
Like I said before, there's always next year.
There is mate, still a shame you both couldn't make it. You would have had a great time. You also would have loved to see Vic and Vi looking so well.

I let my mind wander, it didn't come back.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).