• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen model Berlin with casein body

wim kluck

First Name
Wim
On the internet I came across a new material : Casein. This is an old plastic made from milk proteins. The description stated that it is a difficult material and not suitable for beginners. Indeed difficult and why halfway through one side showed cracks and the other side did not. I don't know yet. Turned with a sharp skew and sharpened several times.
I don't think the combination of this blank with the chrome is very successful. Unfortunately I don't have anything else in stock right now. Maybe gold or black works better. Sanded to p1500 and then tried my buffing system. Tripoli and white polish and then polished out.
I don't think the combination of this blank with the chrome is very successful. Unfortunately I don't have anything else in stock right now. Maybe gold or black works better.
Dry sanded to p1500 and then tried my buffing system. Tripoli and white polish and then polished out.
20240126_153842.jpg
20240126_153850.jpg
20240126_153904.jpg

d_bondi

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
I do like the material, it is really cool.
I don't think that the chrome looks bad, but I do think that a gunmetal or black TI finish would be more complementary to the material.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have a few blanks in a purple colour...yes it's strange stuff, but after some of the things I have turned its not too bad...
I agree gold would suit that better, but it's not a bad choice to go with...well done :claps: :claps:

silverfox58

First Name
Terry
hi just to say a very nice pen however casein is not a new material I saw a demo about 15 years ago by a woodturner Steve Berkeley make a threaded box with a unichaser out a casein and as you are aware it is very fragile even so well done on a nice pen

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Casein has been around since the 1920's, used by Conway Stewart.

Not the easiest material out there, especially when drilling out for a cap as the blanks are only around 15mm wide.

It has a tendency to shrink if it's got too hot during finishing, even shrinking down the tube.

But it does look great and is worth the effort and smashed blanks.

8B144C78-5625-4EAB-B326-C58B24DD9165.JPG