• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pens from split cane.

Geoff Kent

Graduate Member
First Name
GEOFF
Good afternoon all,
Its been a while since I posted anything although I have been busy at the lathe.
I thought you would like to see two pens I have just made out of split cane from an old knackered fishing rod.What is split cane I hear you ask.To make a rod from split cane is a long and skilful process but I will keep it brief.
A length of Tonkin bamboo is split lengthwise into sections.These sections are then straightened and hand planed into equilateral triangles.The triangles are then hand planed again on a former to form the taper of the rod,often going to a thickness of only 1.5mm.Six of the triangles are the glued together to form a hexagon.The fishing rod is then finished off with a cork handle,rings and varnish.A very brief description,there is lots of stuff on the interweb if you are interested.
Split cane was very popular in the forties,fifties and sixties before being superceded by fibreglass and carbon fibre.
There is a band of anglers,myself included,who enjoy using split cane fishing rods.My cane rods are about sixty years old and still going strong.
There are a few very skilled people who still make split cane fishing rods and the prices they can charge is eye watering!
Hope you enjoyed my ramblings.
Geoff.

Attachments

• Fountain and ball point.JPG
    Fountain and ball point.JPG
    544.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Ball point.JPG
    Ball point.JPG
    556.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Fountain pen 1.JPG
    Fountain pen 1.JPG
    509.8 KB · Views: 56

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Those look very nice mate and a cracking story with the history. I also like how you avoided the temptation to go fully round and kept the facets.....
Very nice mate:drool::drool:

Geoff Kent

Graduate Member
First Name
GEOFF
Those look very nice mate and a cracking story with the history. I also like how you avoided the temptation to go fully round and kept the facets.....
Very nice mate:drool::drool:

Hi Mark,
I deliberately kept the hexagonal shape so that an angler would straight away know what they were.The two pens pictured are going to be auctioned on a traditional angling forum I am a member of,the proceeds going to charity.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Geoff I love your fishing generated desire to make the hexagonal two pens. Hexes have been a special thing for me for so many years,I approach them seldom because of the work involved. I have a friend who lives in adjacent Queanbeyan (our borders adjoin them in NSW us in The A.C.Territory. He and his wife are world travelling Trout Fishers,he hand make split cane rods and commands extraordinary prices that reflect the workmanship using simple hand tools. I once bought from Les Elm in Canada two of his Fish encapsulated both sides pen blanks ,one for them and one for me. He was ovr the moon. He buys fro overseas large Cane pieces,splits with a knife and goes to work,he uses hand made leather bags to go with them.

Congratulationsfor your patient triangles joined ,I salute you mate.:thumbs::thumbs:We have a guy named Pierre who is a member here who uses hand tools only also making hexes,at times twisted,he live on the edge of Paris france,we became firm friends over time.Some do nothing people tried to burn him on this forum when he made a pen using 60 yr old Elephant Tusk.He is also one of my heroes.

So many thanks for sharing and I trust the Auction will be rewarding for your cause,kind regards Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Split cane was still a thing when I was a kid. I was surprised to see an article online some years ago about modern ones and the high prices commanded.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Geoff,

Your post brought back fond memories of my grandfather who passed away in 1981, but before he did he gifted me his 13foot float rod and a smaller ledger rod both of split cane, although the ledger rod had an accident and the top section had been replaced with a fibre glass section. My Grandfather used to use both when he fished with Richard Walker, nearby to where I live, which will be familiar to coarse fishermen, Arlesey. I live in Arlesey now but lived for the first 56 years of my life in the adjacent town of Hitchin, where a rod builder of some note who was also a friend, Alan Brown lived and worked at his tackle shop.
My split cane rods serve as a wonderful reminder of the fantastic time I had with my grandfather but have been unused for the last forty years.

Geoff Kent

Graduate Member
First Name
GEOFF
Geoff,

Your post brought back fond memories of my grandfather who passed away in 1981, but before he did he gifted me his 13foot float rod and a smaller ledger rod both of split cane, although the ledger rod had an accident and the top section had been replaced with a fibre glass section. My Grandfather used to use both when he fished with Richard Walker, nearby to where I live, which will be familiar to coarse fishermen, Arlesey. I live in Arlesey now but lived for the first 56 years of my life in the adjacent town of Hitchin, where a rod builder of some note who was also a friend, Alan Brown lived and worked at his tackle shop.
My split cane rods serve as a wonderful reminder of the fantastic time I had with my grandfather but have been unused for the last forty years.

Hi Neil,
Dick Walker was the greatest angler of his time.He wrote many books that set many young men,including me,onto the path of fishing for bigger fish.He also designed and built the Mk IV Carp rod with which he caught,in 1952,a British record carp of 44lb.Surviving Walker built rods can fetch thousands of pounds when they occasionally come up for sale.
Alan Brown was also very well known in angling circles and rods built by him can also command very high prices.
What was your Grandfathers name Neil,many of Dick Walkers fishing companions were very good anglers and are still highly regarded by many older anglers.
Thanks for posting Neil,
Geoff.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Geoff,

My grandfather was George Farrer, and thanks for the post, I now know how my Grandfather came to know Dick Walker. My Grandfather moved from his native Leeds to be the Senior Probation Officer in Hertfordshire, living in Hitchin. I found out yesterday that a house in Hitchin that I have passed almost everyday other than the time up I was away at sea, now bears a blue plaque that states “Richard Walker, angler lived here”! For reasons that are uninteresting to those not from Hitchin, I have good reason to believe that My Grandfather may well have known Dick Walker through his membership of either the local Rotary club or his community involvement with the Hitchin Youth Trust.

My grandfather was a keen and knowledgeable fisherman, and although successful would not have been been known for it, even if he had been worthy of it. Thanks, every days a learning day!

Geoff Kent

Graduate Member
First Name
GEOFF
Thanks Neil,
That's very interesting,I never knew Dick Walker had a blue plaque.As you say,something new is learned everyday!I have heard your grandfathers name mentioned by anglers who are somewhat senior in years.Ita a small world,thanks for the post.
Geoff.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).