• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Permission to get a Mill

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I broached the subject of buying a Mill and my wife said only if you get rid of one of the machines you already have. I told her my truth, if I had to get rid of a machine to get the mill then it would defeat the object, she didn't pick up on the "Object" and I didn't go any further with it, so she said the garage needs to be cleaned out of all the rubbish that isn't needed so she has offered to help me to go through it and get rid of stuff I don't need, I must have about 6-8 Bowens Quad packs which take up room along with god knows how many heads, about 40 used Colorama backgrounds which I was supposed to have got rid of a couple/few years ago a number of soft boxes, snoots, tripods, lighting stands, booms and other associated stuff.

Her Bike is trapped at the far end of the garage and I will release that and it can go in the back garden with my bike in a bike tent. I am hopeful that I may be able to get the router table on a bench finally and use it for the first time since I bought it, there is also a compound mitre saw somewhere on the bench which also hasn't been used apart from testing it to make sure it worked when I got it. I have an American Atlas pillar drill sat on the floor unused since I bought it from a friend who emigrated to NZ, but if I get the Mill then I think the Atlas will go. I have two hermetically sealed Aluminium trunks about 30"wide x 24"high x 22" front to back one of which has power tools in so I always new where they were, but are too difficult to get at and the other has all sorts of cloth materials I used for photography. The trunks take up a good amount of space so at least one of them will be going unless I can find a spot for them outside in the back garden.

I have a professional Badge making machine if anyone is interested, but if I get to listing stuff I will put it in the For Sale Forum.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Tell her you are the boss and you are getting one! I did that...still haven't got one :goesred::funny:

I know exactly how to play her and she knows exactly how to let me think I played her.

I was taken a little bit aback when she asked what a Milling Machine was for and I started to explain, then she asked if I could do filigree work on it, I asked how she knew about filigree work on pens and she said she had read a Pen Book she bought me a couple of years ago and she liked the pens with filigree, so of course I said yes it can be done on a mill. I have quite a bit of silver so I may need to get a jewellers rolling mill to flatten out the silver to try to make filigree to go on pens, well at least one, just to show willing.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I was right as to why he took her to lunch.:thumbs: obviously it worked.

I did take her to lunch, but don't forget she allowed me to take her to lunch. We are out for an early dinner tomorrow, with the Granddaughter also, last day of her Junior school until she goes to her new school in September.

We are also surveying the garage and may move a few things out to get to my wife's bike and make a plan of action, as long as the plan coincides we should get along fine:pray:

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
So when is the garage sale Peter or is it a case of take it all out put it all back then off to the pub for a drink

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Peter obviously all planets are in alignment right now is the time for action. At one time when I sold my Photographic Studio I went through a form of hell. I had a 10 by 8 inch enlarger, Kodak 10 X * Century Camera and 80 yrs of plates and negatives etc the studio had been going for a hundred yrs. At that time it was impossible to sell goodwill in a business. Then total up the hoarding of husband and wife with six hoarders in training children.

Have fun with your new mill.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
So when is the garage sale Peter or is it a case of take it all out put it all back then off to the pub for a drink

I am sure that a lot of what comes out to get to other stuff will be going back in if only temporarily, but I am determined to be ruthless with stuff I have previously pardoned.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I am sure that a lot of what comes out to get to other stuff will be going back in if only temporarily, but I am determined to be ruthless with stuff I have previously pardoned.

Peter

You know the minute you get rid of something you will want it there will be tears:sob::sob::sob::funny::funny::funny:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter I wouldn't get rid of your pillar drill, you will be surprised how many time you will need it.

I would have thought the Mill would cover anything I need a pillar drill for. Space is at a premium.

Peter

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob

Peter

You've got more willpower than me :ciggrin:

I'm making my son a large gate and needed to access some reclaimed mahogany to make it with. Easy peasy, I knew exactly where it lives - in the back of the big shed and a good time for a clear out while in there.
6 hours later, mahogany out, a couple of items kept out to sell on gumtree, a few odd bits in the bin and everything else back in the shed :rolling:

Plus, I was knackered after it. :sob:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It will be hard, but most of the stuff I haven't used in years and can't see me using again, I will keep a couple of flash heads and packs, but the rest can go. I might come across things I have forgotten I had, but if I want to get the Mill in the garage something has to go, it's exciting.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A mini mill, the one I am thinking of is this although if they have something better, used and cheaper then I may go for that instead, but that is the one I intend to get.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
It appeals to me for smallish work it certainly has many bells and whistles, the 500 mm table appeals, certainly accomodates.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I would have thought the Mill would cover anything I need a pillar drill for. Space is at a premium.

Peter

The drill press has a hole in the centre, the mill table doesn't, takes a lot longer to set up.
If you do start using it as a mill, then it might not be available as a drill press.Since you might have to change chucks.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
A mini mill, the one I am thinking of is this although if they have something better, used and cheaper then I may go for that instead, but that is the one I intend to get.

Peter

Peter I bought a Seig SX3L

SIEG SX3L HiTorque Mill

looking at the specs the table is;
700x160mm
Table Travel: 510x145mm ( X, Y )
Table Effective Size: 625x204mm
The Warco doesn't say what the usable table size is.
My table is long enough to clamp two or more vices, so I dont set up between different operations.
But I really wish the table was wider.
The mill you are looking has the Z handle on the top of the column not at the base where it is easy to use.
I thought I had kept all the info about the Pro's and Con's I had when I bought mine, but cant find it, will have another bo peep later this arvo.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).