• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

photos in pens

ste297

Apprentice Member
First Name
steven
hi i love looking at the pens you have all made but i cant get my head around how to get a photo or logo inside a pen

is it a 2 stage casting process where you cast the initial blank, turn down, lay photo over and then cast again and finish the pen off

or is there an easier way which i am missing

TIA

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
If you find the pens that Paulm has done where he has got stamps and the like inside the resin, you'd simply apply the photo straight on to the brass tube, spray it with acrylic lacquer to protect the photo while you then cast it in resin :thumbs:

ste297

Apprentice Member
First Name
steven
thank you for the response i will have to give it a try i guess i will have to scale down the photo to fit around the pen tubes

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
worth having a look on youtube for some methods too. Sometimes it is easier to see it done than just in words.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
worth having a look on youtube for some methods too. Sometimes it is easier to see it done than just in words.

My sentiments as well however there are many twists to cover the various materials reaction and need for sealing before pouring or casting so it is wise to seek out a formula that will cover your need bleeding of images is quite common.

Peter.:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Photos and pictures I'm still trying to master. I think it might be difficult to stick a photo directly onto a tube because of the thickness of it but if you could then simply sealing it with an acrylic spray or such would then allow it to be cast. One think I wouldn't like about this is a join down the length of the tube. I would print it onto waterslide decal and then stick it on and cast it. At the moment I am still experimenting with this and haven't got it just right though. I'm building a mountain of failed blanks although there are some in the pot now that might be good

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I used the hairspray method on my first clear cast blanks.
Manipulated the image to fit round the Sierra tube, printed on an Avery label, stuck it on tube and spray before casting. seeemples
:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's another good tip Peter, tear the paper towards the back to feather the edge can work very well.
Paper hangers do it to patch in.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).