• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Polishing Acrylic

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
T Cut after papering.Metal polish for bare cartridges. Auto Glym as a finish polish. All part of the learning curve which one when.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
You can use autosol or Brasso which is a pound a tin from the pound shops as well as what has been mentioned I have finnished to 400 grit abranet then used autosol as I had it to hand but always finish with a good detailer and a coat of canuba wax which is cheap to buy.

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
I use a polish that takes it down to one micron which gives it a glass like finish. Does the wax make the pen slippery, when i have waxed furniture i have made that feel dry but slippery?

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I would use Tcut, metal polish then autoglym in that order. You don't need any protection on acrylic. Once you polish the acrylic to a scratch free finish, that's it, done.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Cut the first one out...

Use paper and or mm to 3600 then T cut then Resin polish.. thats all I use.

Don't bother with the metal polish as its only the same as TCut in my opinion so a waste of time and effort.

The art is remembering to sand and polish horizontally as well as radially.

Once built up I then Ren wax to finish off and get my mitt prints off.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
On another forum a penturner said he has many life times of polishes etc, every time his son hears of another ubeaut polish for his car he buys it, and the previous ones get shoved on the shelf in the garage.
This penturner said he cant tell the difference between the end results, except his sons wallet is a lot lighter.

presenter2000

Apprentice Member
First Name
bill
As a retired car painter who now turns pens I would not be tempted to use T cut on any finishes (OK with solid acrylics but as T cut contains ammonia which clouds acrylic clearcoats on cars I would be loath to use it on say a car finish. If however you have tried it and it works then rock on. Just my opinion

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
As a retired car painter who now turns pens I would not be tempted to use T cut on any finishes (OK with solid acrylics but as T cut contains ammonia which clouds acrylic clearcoats on cars I would be loath to use it on say a car finish. If however you have tried it and it works then rock on. Just my opinion

While I agree totally with your comments on car paint and agree I have the same oppinion on car paints. The main reason I agree with you is the thickness of car paints is very much limited to how much has been put in by the painter (or robot :tongue:) in the first place.. And of course the new two part mixes not really liking being attached with t cut..

in my experience of the many different finishes that I have been privaliged to turn over the last 30 years + T cut on the acrylic has no negative impact in anyway at all.. Provided it is followed up with a suitable polish to protect the finish afterwards..

But then it all depends on what you call Acrylic..

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).