• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Poor service from courier

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I have recently had reason to send 12 parcels out, nine of them to forum members (you know who you are) containing acrylic blanks, now to start with I was a little late packaging them up to get them off due to the xmas period & a little illness that laid me low.

But then I involved My-Hermes, what a nightmare, firstly having arranged to have them picked up from home, they didn't turn up, then a day or so later the driver turned up to say his hours where up and he was unable to take them, despite having his vehicle on the drive. Then after another couple of days he turns up again, again saying his hours were up, but this time he will take them but he can't log them on the system until his working day starts again.

It now turns up they have been riding around Lincolnshire going nowhere. I am now told by a very difficult to get old of help line that problems have been sorted and they are going in the right direction, and tracking info will be available in the next few hours.

Hopefully my very patient forum members will have their blanks soon, maybe tomorrow (Friday), maybe...........:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Amazingly, I sent out another small package on Tuesday this week, it arrived safely the very next day via Royal Mail. It is highly unlikely I will ever use My-Hermes again

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I used my Hermes once to send a few packages to forum friends.

One ended up being a small "half"plane that got sent to Geordie. :goesred:

I sent numerous messages to them but never got a conclusion, not even the cost of postage.:vangry:

So hence never used them since, I was thinking of using them again, but now I don't think I will.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I've used them half a dozen times to send parcels without any problems though I did drop off at a local collection point in each case. I also regularly receive parcels via them again with no issues, I guess it's down to the lcal drivers who I believe are self employed and ours is a good one.

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
i have used them a fair few times. I always drop off at the local petrol station though. I have never had any real issues- the odd days delay here and there.

I think that Bob is right- certainly for the delivery. It is dependant on the local driver.

A shame really, because they are cheap where you have something that isnt heavy, no real value but is a bit big for Royal Mail.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Headlines men in white delivering into the wee small hours suspicious packages down back lanes to avoid customers.

Peter.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I agree with Bob. It is down to the local self employed drivers. Our local guy Joe will call back several times to make sure the delivery gets through and if that fails he will leave it in the greenhouse or with a neighbour. Never missed a My Hermes delivery or collection yet.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Never seen the advantage of MyHermes I'm afraid. I realise that everyone has different experiences, but I've just been through their online quote system, just as a comparison having read this thread, and a 2kg small parcel from here in the wilds of Scotland to the south of England would cost me 10p less than Royal Mail. I didn't get as far as finding oput if that was a price for me to drop it off or of it would be collected. I don't often read about problems with Royal Mail, and indeed I send maybe 20 to 30 parcels a day via them, of which probably 3 a year go astray. I'm always hearing about problems with MyHermes however. I'll stick with Royal Mail I think.

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I have a very good Hermes driver,no problems I have only used them to send stuff a few times without any problem

Chisel_Wizz

Apprentice Member
First Name
Graeme
Thanks for the heads up - was starting to wonder about those :thumbs:

I've only used My Hermes once after selling a guitar and there was no problems, doubt I'd use them again after what I've read about them since.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Just one more thing to consider. Only rarely does anyone write about the ordinary experience of having a parcel delivered with no hassle. "A courier delivered a parcel today" doesn't make for an interesting discussion. Consequently we hear disproportionately about the problems. Most couriers just get on and do their job like most ordinary people, and like life in general a small number of them are idle, dishonest or just downright tw@ts.

Look at online reviews for any courier service and you will see the same thing, lots of horror stories and not one post saying "a parcel arrived normally today".

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Just one more thing to consider. Only rarely does anyone write about the ordinary experience of having a parcel delivered with no hassle. "A courier delivered a parcel today" doesn't make for an interesting discussion. Consequently we hear disproportionately about the problems. Most couriers just get on and do their job like most ordinary people, and like life in general a small number of them are idle, dishonest or just downright tw@ts.

Look at online reviews for any courier service and you will see the same thing, lots of horror stories and not one post saying "a parcel arrived normally today".

I agree completely Walter.

I get loads of parcels delivered by various couriers and only the odd one is slow. A few have gone missing but I strongly suspect they were down to the supplier not the courier.
I'm on friendly terms with some of the drivers though and they do take parcels back to the depot at the end of the day as sometimes there are just too many to physically deliver. There are also problems with customers who make no arrangements for anyone to accept delivery if they are not at home.

I ordered a garden incinerator a few weeks ago from a company on ebay which didn't arrive, when queried he failed to respond so I opened a "case" and he immediately sent a dispatch date and Hermes tracking number and blamed Hermes for the delays. The dozy twit said he'd sent it the day before I placed the order :whistling:and the tracking number didn't exist. When I pointed that out he immediately refunded - wonder why?

Our local Hermes driver is a lovely lady who goes out of her way to deliver her parcels efficiently.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have been waiting for a card to come from Sydney 200 miles away since the 120th to be told by the sender that was normal.

My parcel from Davey Gee 12,000 miles sent on the 10th arrived a few days ago from Royal Mail.'

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I have received a few parcels from DPD some from Northern Ireland and some from Axminster they have always arrived within 2 days and as their e mail stating a 1 hour time slot they have been spot on so I would definitely try them for sending if I had to.

I have been waiting for a card to come from Sydney 200 miles away since the 120th to be told by the sender that was normal.

My parcel from Davey Gee 12,000 miles sent on the 10th arrived a few days ago from Royal Mail.'

Peter.

I know it takes a little time to send parcels from here to Australia as it took nearly two weeks for one from me to arrive at a woodworking friend in Falconbridge up in the Blue mountains.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I have received a few parcels from DPD some from Northern Ireland and some from Axminster they have always arrived within 2 days and as their e mail stating a 1 hour time slot they have been spot on so I would definitely try them for sending if I had to.

I know it takes a little time to send parcels from here to Australia as it took nearly two weeks for one from me to arrive at a woodworking friend in Falconbridge up in the Blue mountains.

I haven't heard of that place before, but know of a place called Faulconbridge.:face::devil:

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Good news, 3 parcels from the consignment delivered today and I can see from the tracking info that all parcels are now at least in the local depots, near to where they are to be delivered.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Our eldest granddaughter approaching 40 yrs lives in the Blue Mountains, they run an IT business from there. With remote control so simple these days their travelling is negligible compared with years ago.

I remember in the early days of TV the guy with a van full of valves was in perpetual motion to keep up with the necessary replacements. Apart from the often fires a great place to live.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).