• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Printing on pens

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
A while ago someone asked about printing logos on pens. I recently was asked to provide a sample of a pen for a vineyard so with my laser printer this is what happens on a wine cask oak pen. This is the test piece so they can evaluate the placement and font .

IMG_0573.jpg

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
It was one of these that my wife got me for my birthday during the black Monday sale last year (there are loads of similar items for sale). You can change the fonts even draw pictures from photos. Its has its limits of 1" square maximum and I wouldn't try to go any higher than a Mistral pen thickness. The example I showed was a quick test piece on a cheap pen; I would align the text a bit more towards the top and slightly straighter next time. It draws a box in laser light to show you the area that it is going to print before you tell it to print so alignment is easy. You just have to be careful as to the size of font so as to avoid edge bleed on a curve item.

NEJE DK-8-KZ High Speed Laser Engraver - 1000mW, Custom Software Included, Windows Support, 512x512 Resolution: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Great progress and looking good.

Its not actually printing tho, its a laser engraver so must be burning it in.

Would like to see the engraving larger to see how it turns out..

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
IMG_0573 (2).jpg

Here you go best I can do with the single photo, bear in mind that it was a test piece so I haven't filled in the voids in the Oak which then allows bleed in that part. Also as you say it is burnt in so it will really only work on a light wood and not on an ebony although it can still just be seen. The system uses all of the main windows fonts and it is possible to lengthen the burn time to make it even darker, but I would not want to go much larger than this without creating a flat section to print/burn in. What is also possible is to take a photo reduced to the acceptable size and say burn it onto a knife handle or similar. I tried it on beech and it came out very well.

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Pretty good result, as you say, a bit of work will see even better results :thumbs: Thinking about trying this myself :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).