• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Private sales using Paypal - warning

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Hi all
I put my Record lathe up for sale here a few months ago, and it was also advertised in my woodturning club's newsletter and website.
After no interest for months, I'd rather got used to having two lathes!
However, I was contacted by email by a potential buyer earlier this month. The only question I was asked about the lathe was how much it would cost and could payment be made by Paypal. No need to arrange shipping, the buyer would have the lathe collected. I replied by email to this first email and the potential buyer seemed interested and asked for some photos. I sent photos and the reply I got was, yes, I'll take it. What's your paypal email address?
I had had some earlier concerns about the sale as none of the emails actually seemed enthusiastic about woodturning! I decided to check out using paypal for private sales where the item sold is picked up by the buyer and not sent by the seller. There have been cases where a seller has had the sale money of an item taken back from their paypal account after the buyer has been and collected the item because the buyer has then claimed they did not get the item! Any items not posted/despatched by the buyer mean that Paypal's buyer protection does not apply...

I decided therefore to send the following email to the buyer:

Hi

Ok - I'll leave the packing to your shipping company.

I don't want to cause any offence, but I am a little wary about selling something online to somebody I've not met before or seen in person. As you are having the lathe collected, I can't avail myself of paypal's Buyer Protection, so we will need to use a different payment method - are you happy with this?

If you gave me an idea of where you are I could consider delivery myself, for the cost of petrol and time.

Let me know.

The potential buyer has now gone very quiet...silent, in fact! Perhaps my email was too offensive? But better to cause some offence than lose out on the lathe and the sale price!

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Paypal sent out warnings of this exact type of scam.

I had one a few years ago with a van I was selling, they offere to do exactly the same. Get a driver to collect the van after they have transferred the money via pay pal. Oh yea, scam smell all over it..

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I've sold a number of items but insisted that the paypal payment was a "gift" payment therefore not affected by fees and I'm fairly sure the payment can't be rescinded as no sale item was in the contract. you can't do this if selling on ebay of course, mine were advertised in Gumtree.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).