• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Purple Maple Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hi pen friends.

Another pen in maple that’s been dyed and stabilised (not by me, I buy the blanks like that).

Fully lined and tapered cap and barrel. I mention tapering because it adds a degree of complexity as you have to make the liner stepped in order to cater for the angle.

Clips can also be a challenge but I’ve got it all dialled down now. Of course it would be easier if I made my own clips with the gasket ring visible so I don’t need to rebate it inside the cap. Another skill I need to acquire, but not today.

Sterling silver and acrylic is used for the accents and the wood is finished in hard wax. When my customers buy these pens I make sure they know it’s more of a desk pen and, just like anything made from wood, can show evidence of wear if not looked after properly. Most people do get it.

Cheers
Ash

IMG_1417.jpegIMG_1420.jpegIMG_1425.jpegIMG_1429.jpegIMG_1422.jpegIMG_1414.jpegIMG_1409.jpeg

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
WOOD!
Another in your timber line and this one is excellent.
Dyed Maple is just hard to beat. Lovely rich colour of blue.
Thanks Alan, and yes I’ve got my timber hat back on. I’ve got a few different coloured woods (dyed) so I’m going to work through them…
Cheers
Ash

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Now THAT has to be your worst pen yet Ash :rolling:
Your NEVER going to sell that one, I suggest you let me have it to save you the embarrassment of trying to sell it :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::fingers: :bwink:
It’s on its way to you as we speak Colin - let me know when it arrives! 😊

SorinS

First Name
Sorin
Hi pen friends.

Another pen in maple that’s been dyed and stabilised (not by me, I buy the blanks like that).

Fully lined and tapered cap and barrel. I mention tapering because it adds a degree of complexity as you have to make the liner stepped in order to cater for the angle.

Clips can also be a challenge but I’ve got it all dialled down now. Of course it would be easier if I made my own clips with the gasket ring visible so I don’t need to rebate it inside the cap. Another skill I need to acquire, but not today.

Sterling silver and acrylic is used for the accents and the wood is finished in hard wax. When my customers buy these pens I make sure they know it’s more of a desk pen and, just like anything made from wood, can show evidence of wear if not looked after properly. Most people do get it.

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 52032View attachment 52033View attachment 52034View attachment 52035View attachment 52036View attachment 52037View attachment 52039
Nice pen, Ash (as usually :) )! Just a question: why would you make the liner stepped and not straight cylindrical? The pen's walls' thickness will be, indeed, uneven throughout the length, but apart of this, there is another reason?

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Hi pen friends.

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 52032View attachment 52033View attachment 52034View attachment 52035View attachment 52036View attachment 52037View attachment 52039
Beautiful pen Ash, I wouldn't have a clue on how to do that....

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Nice pen, Ash (as usually :) )! Just a question: why would you make the liner stepped and not straight cylindrical? The pen's walls' thickness will be, indeed, uneven throughout the length, but apart of this, there is another reason?
Thanks Sorin.

The steps on the liner allow me to taper the outside of the cap. I taper the cap because I use proprietary pocket clips that are rebated into the cap. The clip gasket ring sits on the liner so the diameter at that point has to be narrower than the diameter at the bottom of the cap.

So if I didn’t step the liner then it would be too wide for the clip and the taper would not work (I’d go through the wood).

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Ash