• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Replacment handle

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Last month I brought three chisels from the club two were OK but the third had a home made handle which I did not like so I got into the shed a remade it. Tomorrow I will fit it together but here is the old handle(top), new handle(middle) and a Sorby one which fashioned the new on on as I find they are comfortable for me.

27660.jpg

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
The top one looks a bit rude Derek, no wonder it had to go, are you sure it was a handle? :funny::funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
For a chisel that size, a Sorby I cut the handle about half way but only for pen use. I agree the Sorby handle shape suits me fine. Read recently of turners who rough finish their handles for better grip. When I see your work Derek it is so varied your needs must also.

Peter.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
God knows what was going on in the mind of the person who made that top handle. Very strange shape for a turning tool but then many Americans seem to go for weird shapes sometimes. The copper ferrule looks nice as well. Many folks are can be very snobby about using copper pipe for ferrules. I've seen several of top turners on YouTube that have made their own handles with them and I now think they look better than brass.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you guys. Here is the completed tool ready for use and a more pleasing handle to hold. May cause some confusion if I sell it as it is a Henry Taylor steel and a Robert Sorby shaped handle.

27667.jpg

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Well done Derick, I have made a few, burned rings on with a cheese wire thing, coloured ends to identify types of tool, gouges, parting tools, etc.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Gynacology instructions over now the chisel handles are never a fashion parade but a working need. Never thought ever of resale or trading chisels other than where is as is. As in motor cars traders plates and transfers, labels on chisels mean less these days. The best turning I have ever witnessed came from the cutting edge of expert craftsman using a variety of unknown anything.

Used to stand amazed by a guy with just a scruffy old skew chisel freehand cutting 12 foot long 10 inch hardwood posts into memorable shapes, then plonking that one in behind and making near exact copies at speed, when finished smooth as not to need sanding. all in the technique. He was a journeyman Turner.

His lathe was cobbled from bit and pieces, the pulley wheels he turned from timber the bed rough welded to get the length, this in a rough shed in the backyard..

In the final stages of his working life cut short by P Cancer he worked with my mate another pro turner using Vicmarc lathes with four extension modules.

How fortunate we are with modern lathes and chisels to use.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).