• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Root Beer Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Nice job.

There appears to be a small gap between the section and the barrel. It looks from the photo that the gap is on one side implying the section isn’t screwing in straight. (Or it could be a trick of the light and the gap is all the way around in which case you may need to rebate into the barrel tenon a little).

But if it is lopsided then it suggests you’re drilling slightly at an angle, meaning the section won’t then screw in straight.

Equally it could be due to a slightly rounded shoulder on the section. It’s hard to be sure from the pics but basically you’re aiming to get a completely seamless join between section and barrel.

It’s a small detail but it stands out a lot (to me at least 😊) and it can cause the nib to scrape against the inside of the cap when screwing it on.

Cheers
Ash

RobR

First Name
Robert
Ooh, good spot Ash. I think it's symptomatic of something I've been struggling with, and that's getting the tenon shoulder flat and at right angles to the tenon, in this case on the section. The shoulder has a definite slope to it. The gap goes all the way round.

A close up look also highlights that I forgot to clean up & polish the barrel tenon before I cut the threads. They look awful close up. Both fixable with a bit more attention to detail.

As always, thank you Ash!

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Ooh, good spot Ash. I think it's symptomatic of something I've been struggling with, and that's getting the tenon shoulder flat and at right angles to the tenon, in this case on the section. The shoulder has a definite slope to it. The gap goes all the way round.

A close up look also highlights that I forgot to clean up & polish the barrel tenon before I cut the threads. They look awful close up. Both fixable with a bit more attention to detail.

As always, thank you Ash!
It is tricky to get perfectly square shoulders but if I’m ever cutting them by hand on the wood lathe I tend to over compensate a little and make the tenon shoulder slope inwards a touch. (Think valley rather than hill). That way you’ll still get a nice seal on the outside.

As for the threads they are actually not bad at all. Try a toothbrush to try to clean them a little and you may be surprised. Tip from me: don’t polish the tenon before threading. You will sometimes get the tiniest little mark on your threads that is invisible to the naked eye but if you’ve polished it they will stand out like a saw thumb (dull against shiny really shows up).

But honestly you’re doing a great job. I’m only telling you this stuff because it’s the final 3% to you really nailing it. Keep going!

Cheers
Ash