• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
After weeks and weeks of trying to buy some moulds from the USA and not getting anywhere, I decided to make my own!

Single pen blank mould: 5 blanks @ 20x20x150mm
Double pen blank: 3 blanks @ 20x43x150mm
Block mould: 25x150x150mm

Slimline & Sierra resin saver style moulds

I'm also planning on next week making single & double moulds to cast 15mm blanks for narrower pens like the slimlines etc to save on resin & time turning away all that extra resin, plus obviously resin saver style moulds for other pen kits!

What do you guys think any criticism welcome!

View attachment 32776

webby962

First Name
Adie
Well, I for one think they look very professional.
:thumbs:

Although, it is how they work that really matters. :praying:

Now, the real question is, how did you make them and how much did it cost?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well, I for one think they look very professional.
:thumbs:

Although, it is how they work that really matters. :praying:

Now, the real question is, how did you make them and how much did it cost?

I agree with the reply above, but you now need to show everyone how you made them..:tongue:

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
They look good to me. Interesting colour though, the only colour available when I made some moulds 20 years ago was brown.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
They look more professional than those on sale anywhere congratulations again Paul you are the new trendsetter in moulding, casting and turning.It would be unfair to reveal the secrets of your molds if you intend to market them, which you should.

Peter.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
"Although, it's how they work that really matters" I've cast in one of the resin saver style moulds & it works fine, planning on casting more tomorrow :thumbs:

"how much did they cost to make" a fortune! I've spent quite a few hundred pounds setting up to make these moulds
"How did I make them" Sorry but we've spent a lot of time & money setting up to make these moulds, so how I made them is a trade secret as I am planning on selling them, hope you understand.

The light pink is condensation cured silicone rubber (I could be wrong but this is what I think most pen blank moulds are made from)
The dark pink is a addition cured silicone rubber (resin manufacturer's state that you shouldn't use condensation cured silicone with most glass & clear type polyurethane resins)

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
RTV silicone, Conti board, a blank cut to size, bobs yer uncle.

Just takes a little thought and practice. I have made my own before but now get them off Sawes (Scott Walker) as I'm lazy.

They look good.

Not exactly a secret, just do a bit of research, you tube, IAP forum

webby962

First Name
Adie
"How did I make them" Sorry but we've spent a lot of time & money setting up to make these moulds, so how I made them is a trade secret as I am planning on selling them, hope you understand.

Fully understand :thumbs:

OK, the next question will be, how much do they cost to buy, and when will you be selling them :-)

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Some great moulds, but personally I would not bother making slimline blanks as that means if I get a nice blank and have cast it slimline it would not be able to be used on a thicker pen.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Fully understand :thumbs:

OK, the next question will be, how much do they cost to buy, and when will you be selling them :-)

You can buy the mould material HERE(make sure you buy the correct one for the resin you use) all you need is to make a decent negative mould and follow the instructions for the moulding material

Sawes

Registered
First Name
Scott
ba44af382ddbc00fad565291bb252ce6.jpg
bb2c43421412689484ac754e49fcc423.jpg

Don't need to import when Taylors Mirfield have them on their site.

Great job on making own and I know all too well the cost of making the Blanks to make the moulds and making so many differing sizes.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Your moulds look the bees knees Paul. The trouble with pen kit suppliers is that they only tend to have moulds for thier own kits or for slab casting, so what you're setting out to do is a fine thing. Bring it on.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Impressive they look good I have not got into casting yet but if these are not too expensive I certainly would be tempted.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
THANKS for all the comments guys, I've had some very positive feedback on this thread & by private messages! Sorry if I've not replied to all the coments individually as we are very busy!

For the people who have expressed an interest in possibly purchasing our moulds, please bear with us for a week for us to get a bit more sorted & cast a few more blanks from the resin saver style moulds just to make sure there are no problems with casting!, we'll also look into pricing over the weekend.

CHEERS Paul & Jackie

Sawes

Registered
First Name
Scott
Your moulds look the bees knees Paul. The trouble with pen kit suppliers is that they only tend to have moulds for thier own kits or for slab casting, so what you're setting out to do is a fine thing. Bring it on.
Agree to some degree but many moulds fit many differing tubes.
Take the Sierra mould for example you can fit a wide range of tubes in there including bolt action. The Zeta mould will work for some others including the ProzX which is becoming more popular kit lately with some.
I found making the moulds a little larger than the specified tube can allow for a wider range to be used.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
They look extremely well made Paul and have got a very professional looking finish. Get your pricing structure sorted and let us know. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).