• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Some thoughts for the new era. . .

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I have already posted this on a Facebook group but since Bill Mooney is encouraging you all to annoy me I thought I had better get my revenge in first.

Some (only slightly) tongue in cheek thoughts about the sorts of people who frequent groups and forums and why you should take care when asking for advice:

In my opinion, which is based upon many years of joining, contributing to and in some cases moderating or administering forums and groups, there are three types of people who will reply to your question.

1. The armchair know it all. These people probably only make one pen a month, or in some cases last made a pen ten years ago and spend the rest of their time on the internet waiting for someone to ask a question so they can expound their entrenched and immovable theory of everything to do with pen making from which they will tolerate no deviation. Everyone else is wrong and there is no alternative way. The Holy American Church of CA Finishers for example for whom no other finish will do, even if it is demonstrably better and easier to apply. Or the selling price = cost of components multiplied by a factor delusionists. I enjoy winding these people up into a frenzy of self righteous indignation, which is easy because they are usually suffering from a degree of self importance that is in inverse proportion to their knowledge of pen making (or running a business).

2. The snake oil salesmen and their dupes. The snake oil salesmen want to sell you something. They will tell you how wonderful their product is whilst failing to mention the large variety of cheaper and better alternatives or that whilst their product might have been the state of the art in 1980 technology has now moved on and there are much better products available. The dupes are those who have been taken in by the snake oil salesman and will defend their products to the death because they are unwilling to accept that they have been duped. Anyone selling or using friction polish or wax based finishes as suitable for pen making falls into one of these categories. Sellers of improbable gadgets are also candidates for inclusion. Not everyone selling something falls into this category though, there are many genuine vendors who give good advice (see below).

3. People who actually make and sell pens and want to help you to succeed in doing the same. Generally speaking these are in the majority, but the two previous groups are extremely accomplished at disguising themselves as members of this group. The genuinely helpful people will often tell you that you should listen to a variety of opinions and establish what works best for you, they will offer alternatives and discuss other people’s opinions without dismissing them. They will actually read your question and answer it, they will not see the word “finish” or “pricing” and launch into an extended declaration of their own pet theories and opinions, they may even ask a question to clarify your exact problem or circumstances before giving a considered reply.

So how can you sort out the wheat from the chaff. Here are a few tips. Is there any evidence that the person answering you question is actually qualified to answer it? If for example you have asked a technical question about making or finishing is there any evidence that the person replying has actually ever made a pen. Do they have a website or Facebook page or have they regularly posted pictures of their work? If they have posted pictures look closely to see if their work is good enough for them to be advising others. If you are asking a question about selling or pricing then look for evidence that your advisor actually sells pens. If the person advising you is selling something, then unless you already know them and trust their opinion, look for evidence that others value their opinion and or products. Recommendations count for a lot. Finally as a general rule, and at the risk of being accused of self-promotion, look for evidence that the opinion of whoever is advising you is respected beyond the world of social media. The authors of books and articles have been acknowledged by publishers as having opinions worth publishing whilst those who demonstrate or teach turning and pen making will usually have been accredited by organisations such as the RPT or AWGB and genuine sellers of tools, kits, blanks, components and materials often have a wide knowledge of their field.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
I agree with what you've said Walter but, at the end of the day, it is up to the individual to make his (her) own mind up and if necessary, make their own mistakes as part of the whole learning process.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Is there one for me Walter I make one every-now and again only answer if I know the answer unless I want to wind someone up. I sell and make pens but sell at what I can get away with. I make many other things in wood because I enjoy it. I stick bits of wood on a lathe and make lots of shavings.:face::face::face::funny::funny::funny:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I thought there was just one category called "Loony Poms.":ciggrin:

That's the one, it will do for me :thumbs:

Think yourself very very lucky Mark. This looney Pom was seriously planning a trip to the outback not so far from you but decided to go bother the Canadians and Alaskans instead this year.:whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).