• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Something different

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
Have lots of pieces of the Spruce, none big enough to create “normal” hybrids so thought I would try something different.

Each “Half” is slight bigger than a sierra tube so lots of possibilities 🤔

Midnight blue with “Sparkles” 😂😂

IMG_4486.jpeg

Got so much of this wood I have the option of making about 15 slabs like this.
If there is enough interest I will (try) and make then to your colour choice 😵‍💫🫣🤞
£25 + Postage each slab.
This is NOT a for sale post.
Just trying to see if people would like these. 🤔🤔🤔

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Can we blame the algorithm…?

I think they could be cool. Out of interest did you turn one round yet? Just to see how they might look.

Cheers
Ash

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Would be interested in seeing a finished one as recently I have been making mostly Sierra pens in various enamel colours, but as mentioned to date all I have been turning wood.....

Attachments

• 20230214_141000.jpg
    20230214_141000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230214_141120.jpg
    20230214_141120.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
It’s 27mm thick x 135mm wide x 155mm long
Give or take a mm or two 👍
With those sizes you should get about ten Sierra pens out off each piece. You get 2 from a standard blank which is about 150mm. And five from 135mm I.e. 5 x 27 = 135. If you have a single blank I wouldn't mind trying one...

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
With those sizes you should get about ten Sierra pens out off each piece. You get 2 from a standard blank which is about 150mm. And five from 135mm I.e. 5 x 27 = 135. If you have a single blank I wouldn't mind trying one...

Hi Tom

Yes, its all cut up now and I have turned ONE pen (Been busy with work :down: )
I can get x10 Blanks from the one slab and have enough of this Burl to make about 20 slabs......

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
I have only turned wood so far and recently been turning Sierras. So could have got a pen and pencil set from one blank so would have been nice to try...........