• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Spalted Walnut Fountain Pen

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
A fountain pen made from my spalted walnut collection and finished with CA. The high gloss is not for everyone, a bit like marmite really, you either love it or you hate it!

MSL68 Mistral FP Spalted Walnut4 opt.jpg
MSL68 Mistral FP Spalted Walnut3 opt.jpg

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Lovely piece of wood and work, and a pen some will love.... unfortunately you are correct just like marmite I'm not a big fan of the high gloss finish, but hugely respect it and the finish you have achieved, and it matches the pen perfectly.

Regards

Padster

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
Lovely piece of wood and work, and a pen some will love.... unfortunately you are correct just like marmite I'm not a big fan of the high gloss finish, but hugely respect it and the finish you have achieved, and it matches the pen perfectly.

Regards

Padster

I was having a conversation with a friend about the type of finish that I was thinking of using and he was very much against anything other than CA. He loves the shiny plastic finish and the high gloss that can be achieved. I have always leaned towards that camp, but equally I love a french polished finish on wood. Of course we are constrained when making pens with types of finish because after all, it is a pen. I refer to grease from hands etc. I quite like a melamine finish, that does give a more natural feel and is reasonably tough but my friend hates it. We are all different. What a boring world it would be if we were not!

All that said I do believe in this case, it was the right finish to use as spalted wood can be a little fragile in places. Eight to ten coats of CA applied correctly will certainly protect it. I have a teak egg cup I show people finished in CA and its used daily by my wife. It is washed in the sink with the rest of the dishes and after a year its as good as new!

Please don’t wash your new pen in the sink sir!!

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I can see through the finish to a nice piece of walnut, so all good here!!
Very nicely turned and finished, what's not to like, well done:thumbs::thumbs:

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
The kit works very well with the Walnut you have chosen, Top marks sir :drool::drool:

I like a gloss on a pen but I am not a great fan of the "High gloss" (probably because I am yet to achieve one on my pens)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).