• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sumac wood

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
I have just been given some Sumac wood from one of my neighbors, its leaking white sticky sap shuld I clean it off before sealing the ends or let dry a bit first??. Also whats it like to turn they are not very wide in diameter so should I split it done for bowl to get better grain pattern or just slice it across for bowls any advice would be welcome in any respect abut Sumac wood would gratefully accepted as I know nothing about it and its not in any of my books. Many thanks. Tom
View attachment 32647 View attachment 32648

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Depends if you like turning end grain Tom, could take some time to dry out unless you use a microwave, best grain would be by splitting it down for spindle use I would say, just me though!.....

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
What is it like in the centre Tom it has a history of being pulpy there? I note Geordie put up a beaut pen recently running with the grain it had a greenish appearance like Lignum.

Peter.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I think I would spit em down the centre Tom then seal the ends and let em dry a bit. A few short spells in the microwave would speed up the process.

I can see some lovely little trinket bowls and a couple of natural edged small bowls there. :thumbs:

lignaterrae

Stagshorn sumac is an excellent wood. It never grows very big - 6" diameter is about the best usually encountered - and the stem and branches are short and twisted. Although fairly soft it's beautifully coloured, a mid-green background overlaid with stripings of dark green, brown and yellow plus a bright white sapwood. The colours don't fade either. A layers of cells under the bark ooze a sticky white latex when fresh cut but the latex dries and hardens so don't bother trying to remove it before drying.
I've found the best way to dry it is to cut the round billets in half through the fairly wide central pith, seal the ends with PVA then leave them alone for a few months.It dries rather well, very little splitting.
A beautiful and under-rated timber, get hold of all you can. Uses are limited only by the small sizes available.When you turn it you'll notice it also has a lovely scent, rather like sweet lemonade to my nose.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).