• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Teaching

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
I don't post much on here now as most of my time is spent teaching other people to turn wood but I thought you lot might find this interesting.
Woodturning has long been considered an "old men in sheds" type hobby / work / pastime, and generally, with the odd exception, that has proved to be true in my case by the sort of people who apply for my courses.

The Pandemic however seems to have caused a change. I'm getting more and more people wishing to take it up and a lot more younger people wishing to take up the craft, the percentage of ladies wishing to learn to turn has increased to outweigh the amount of men attending also.

Today Katy and her 10 year old son Nik were here. When we went through the various tools I mentioned how some are scared of the skew and I'd seen a recent comment about it.
10 year old Nik then asked if he could try the "Devils tin opener" and he nailed it!

K+N (1) (Copy).jpg

K+N (3) (Copy).jpg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
That's really nice mate, I oftern see these pop up on FB, your always soooo busy.... Well done and long may it continue :thumbs::thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Good to see that youngsters and the ladies starting to have a go even better when a child and adult from the same family as they can encourage each other later on

He even teaches the really good looking people like me :funny:

Yes but the advantage is they will remember what was taught when they get home not like you older guys who forget when they walk out of the door:funny::funny::funny:

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Yes but the advantage is they will remember what was taught when they get home not like you older guys who forget when they walk out of the door:funny::funny::funny:

Sad but true, even the notes I took down have stopped having any meaning :thinks::rolling::rolling:

Geoff Kent

Graduate Member
First Name
GEOFF
Really nice to see young ones taking up turning.Lets hope they stick at it.I was speaking to my fourteen year old grandson the other day.His school and I guess it applies to many others,don't have wood or metalwork lessons anymore.No wonder "practical" skills seem to be on the wane with youngsters.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).