• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Thanks Gadget

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Well disaster struck straight away, :noway1: I drilled 3 of the blanks & a split develop in the one as I drilled

A166E1CD-9A90-4A9A-BAC0-169BABB42BC3.jpeg

Fortunately the other two drilled like a breeze so with tubes glued in it was onto the lathe, I didn’t find the dust too bad though I was wearing a mask but it’s certainly not the nicest smelling stuff I’ve turned

FFD2FD8B-968D-490E-9B8A-083D027A2FDD.jpeg
Though as the photo shows there was plenty of detritus, I’ll put the finished pen in the appropriate forum but as I can’t remember the last time I turned a pen I can honestly say I really enjoyed it.

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
That reminds me that I must get some sticks of rock for the Grandkids when I go to Filey this weekend

Excellent blanks!!

Mike

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Look very nice blanks Doug. I have only turned wood. is polyester hard to turn
Thanks, it turn’s quite easily & sand’s nicely just be sure to use sharp tools.

So what's the difference between acrylic and polyester blanks????
I found it more dusty to turn than acrylic, you don’t get the long ribbons that wrap around everything with polyester & the ribbons you get are very fragile plus it smells more other than that I finished it the same way & it shines up lovely