• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Thimbles from the fields...

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Guys,

A stitch in time...? Well, maybe.

I've metal-detected these 62 thimbles from fields all over Kent during the last couple of years, and with every dig we find more of 'em. Why?

There are several explanations as to how come our fields are littered with these interesting little objects. The most likely reason is that when harvest time came around it was all hands to the pumps! Every woman and child who could walk went off to do their bit alongside the men in the fields, who were either reaping corn, etc. or digging up the vegetables. It's believed that the women and kids followed along behind, packing the produce into sacks, then sewing the ends closed, thus enabling the sacks to be loaded onto carts and hauled away. Another explanation is that the women and children would accompany the men to the sites, then spend their time repairing/making garments for either their families or to be sold on. Note that I've mentioned the kids twice - a lot of the thimbles we find are tiny, which proves that they were introduced to needle and thread at a very early age. EVERYONE had to pull their weight in those days - times were hard and there was no room nor grub for slackers!

An interesting snippet that proves if there's a dollar to be made then someone will make it! Some of the thimbles carry advertising impressed into the designs. At the rate these were being lost there must have been a huge market for making/selling thimbles, so why not utilise, right?

A question - were the massive thimble losses a local thing or have you metal-detectorists in other parts of the UK also experienced these finds?

All the best,
Bob. (Yeah, I know this is nothing to do with wood-working but some of you may be interested!)

And finally, here's a few collectables - solid silver thimbles foolishly brought onto the fields and lost to their owners forever. Even though silver was cheaper then I bet the husbands or boyfriends were well-pissed at the news!​

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
Very interesting would love to do metal detecting one day, you must find some interesting things and they all have an unknown story :thumbs:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
LOL, Ed! It's just that I know some of the guys on here do. I'm not making a takeover bid for the site!

Tom, Don't put it off! Get out in those Celtic fields and start digging history - there's a lot of it down your way, matey!

Bob.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Footnote Bob Wilma is taking a copy of your explanation and pics with her now. She is going to meet with the day group now its 9 am here 19/10 of a Major Quilt Group the membership overall of 500 plus. At her table it will be her show and tell, thanks mate will let you know their response.

Kind regards Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good to see your still enjoying life Bob in what ever you do I for one found it very interesting

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
A nice collection of thimbles Bob :thumbs:
I think your theories on why thimbles are found in fields are spot on.
However I don't think the same can be said for the silver ones. It is unlikely that agricultural labourers would have silver grumbles. Is it possible that there were old trackways where the silver ones were found?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Footnote Bob Wilma is taking a copy of your explanation and pics with her now. She is going to meet with the day group now its 9 am here 19/10 of a Major Quilt Group the membership overall of 500 plus. At her table it will be her show and tell, thanks mate will let you know their response.

Kind regards Peter.

Bob the Thimbles created quite a lot of interest, discussion, lots of bloody fingers around Quilters.

Peter.

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
LOL, Ed! It's just that I know some of the guys on here do. I'm not making a takeover bid for the site!

Tom, Don't put it off! Get out in those Celtic fields and start digging history - there's a lot of it down your way, matey!

Bob.

Whats a good one :nooidea: and is it expensive

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Chas,

I can't argue with your suggestion, Chas, as the possibilities have all been lost to history. I, too, agree with you re the silver ones, but remember that silver was so much cheaper in past times. Particularly when you consider that these were likely to have been produced by the thousands from the factory. It is possible that a spouse or lover might have forked out a few bob for a birthday/Xmas present - and then the silly cow went out and lost it in a field, LOL! A more plausible reason may have been that a middle-class family or group were picnicking and a thimble got left behind(?) I was a life-long sea and freshwater angler - I'd set off each trip with no idea what, if anything, I was gonna catch. Metal detecting is very similar to this except that even after "catching" something you may NEVER know what you've caught, LOL!

Good luck, Chas!

Bob.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
A lot of hard work walking the fiels just for a few thimbles would it not be easier just to turn wooden ones:wink::funny::funny::funny:

Some nice finds there especially the silver ones and some great decoration on them turn them up the other way and you have a few ideas for some turned vases with decorated rims(I always look for idea in other objests)

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Tom.

How deep is the ocean? The price of metal detectors vary as much as Donald Trump's political opinions! A suggestion would be for you to pick up a Laser Hawkeye. This gives you audible via the speaker plus visual via the digital read-out. These will allow you decide whether to dig the signal or not (thus sorting out the junk from the history). A definite MUST is to join a club near you. Like joining this site, the minute you walk in YOU START TO LEARNING!!!
I suggest you join a club prior to buying the detector - one of the members may have one for sale or will lend you one when on a club dig. YES, most clubs have permissions to dig certain fields, which you will have immediate access to land.
I wish you well, mate!

Bob.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Your obsession is rewarded ,thanks for the tip on Detectors there are as you state far to many to choose from. Your advice on joining a club is sound and works so well in woodturning. Our annual exhibition and the Major Working With Wood Show is impending early next month for me. As a Steward I get a front row experience every year. Pics will follow the event.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).