• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

To wax or not to wax, that is the question

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
I’m sure that it has come up before but I’m interested in your views on a wax finish on pens. I notice that a few here use a wax finish on their pens, I assume sanding sealer and then wax to a nice sheen. I personally don’t use wax alone as I wouldn’t have thought it would be hard wearing enough when being used for long periods. That said i guess you do have that wonderful natural feel and warmth of the wood. I quote from Devon Pens website. The owner of Devon Pens please reveal yourself!
As you are all probably aware, I’m a CA nut but I do use melamine lacquer when I’m in the right mood. The wax finish would certainly speed up the finishing process.

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
I use wax on all but the yew wood pens, but I do some others woods, if the customer wishes it. I find a good sealing of the wood is the answer, then two good coats of wax, polish up to a nice sheen, then leave alone for at least two days. I tend find this hardens the wax better, before usage.
I have tried Melamine finishes before, but never get the finish I think is good enough for the customer or pen, so I tend to leave it alone. My other rave is for CA glue, done right, one cannot get the deep shine with any other finishes.
My opinion, my thoughts.
Kelvin

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I don't use wax as the item gets handled to much for the durability of wax.... I prefer to use melamine ala Phil Darts method, but leave overnight to harden then buff to a sheen or leave matt.... I also use a gunstock finish on Walnut pens( mainly because I use old gunstock wood) but have been trying an oil finish also ( mainly designed for wooden tool handles so should be durable)..... I avoid CA unless it's a polymer clay blank.....
But all these are personal preferences, I don't think in the miriade of finishes there is a one for all/all for one solution... :thinks::thinks:

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
I don't use wax as the item gets handled to much for the durability of wax.... I prefer to use melamine ala Phil Darts method, but leave overnight to harden then buff to a sheen or leave matt.... I also use a gunstock finish on Walnut pens( mainly because I use old gunstock wood) but have been trying an oil finish also ( mainly designed for wooden tool handles so should be durable)..... I avoid CA unless it's a polymer clay blank.....
But all these are personal preferences, I don't think in the miriade of finishes there is a one for all/all for one solution... :thinks::thinks:

I have only used oil on teak decks and it is a finish that needs to be applied once a year, certainly on decks that’s for sure. I too use Mr Darts method with melamine and it certainly is my second finish of choice. The jury is still out for me and the wax finish. As I have said before many times to people in the yachting world, a mirror finish is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it but it has its place.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
The only time I use wax on pens is renaissance wax. This ONE as a protection against finger prints and not as a hard wearing finish

21William

Fellow
First Name
William

What Gunstock finish are you using, Tru-Oil?

The only time I use wax on pens is renaissance wax. This ONE as a protection against finger prints and not as a hard wearing finish

The first Microcrystalline Wax I tried was Renaissance Wax. I was then given a tin of another brand and I couldn’t see the difference. If I need to buy any more I’ll just buy the cheapest.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi William, yes I do use Tru oil on pen sized items, I actually use Old London stock finish from Napier on actual stocks.... :thumbs:

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
I have used a polish finish on my pens for about 40 years seal with sanding sealer min 2 coats then a polish till I get the desired finish then woodturners stick and sell with instructions on how to care for the pen by applying say paste wax let it dry and buff and in all my years of selling pens I have never had a single complaint about the finish and believe me I still sell a lot of pens and have customers still returning after all these years.
at the moment I am trying melamine but still prefer the naturel fell of a fine polished pen and so do my customers

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
I have used a polish finish on my pens for about 40 years seal with sanding sealer min 2 coats then a polish till I get the desired finish then woodturners stick and sell with instructions on how to care for the pen by applying say paste wax let it dry and buff and in all my years of selling pens I have never had a single complaint about the finish and believe me I still sell a lot of pens and have customers still returning after all these years.
at the moment I am trying melamine but still prefer the naturel fell of a fine polished pen and so do my customers

When you say “polish to get the desired finish” does that mean you cut back the sanding sealer before using the woodturners stick wax? Do you use a Chestnut Woodturners Stick product?

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
About a year ago I turned a teak eggcup and finished it with CA as an experiment just to see how it survived over time. Not something I would advise anyone to do as the stuff is nasty in amounts larger than a pen blank. In fact its just nasty. Anyway, that eggcup has been used by my wife along with our standard eggcups, washed in washing up water, bashed about in cupboards, dropped on the floor numerous times and after a year is still almost as good as the day that I turned it.

That has to be a good advert for a pen finish doesn’t it?

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
When you say “polish to get the desired finish” does that mean you cut back the sanding sealer before using the woodturners stick wax? Do you use a Chestnut Woodturners Stick product?

Yes I sand or should I say denib after the S/S then apply one of the pen friction polish then the Libron carnauba wax stick till I reach the desired finish

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
We all have our own way of doing things non are wrong just preferred or not preference by different people the important thing is that we enjoy our chosen hobby and each other we are here to encourage each other not discourage happy turning

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).