• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tungsten Carbide Chisels

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
George, lets go back to the old adage of ... "The only silly question is the one you don't ask." A more constructive answer would have helped, or none at all ...

By way of apology for speaking so bluntly, I would like to point something out that you did to me in my early days Jim.
Search the forums for your answers, you may well find them before asking the questions.
This subject has already been somewhat extensively researched, I said in that thread everything I had to say on the subject.

http://www.penturners.co.uk/tools-equipment-accessories/474-you-happy-your-sharpening-3.html

Edlea if you would like to pm me an address I can arrange for some practise tools to be sent to you foc.
I would suggest you learn hand honing rather than rely on machines and jigs to do the job, it would stand you in good stead for future use.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit, but I was taught how to use an oilstone to sharpen chisels way back at school and I'd buried the memory until George mentioned it.

I even have my grandfathers stone complete with its handmade mahogany ( I think ) box that he made for it nearly a century ago.

Maybe I should give it a try, after all we're mainly talking about keeping an edge here aren't we, not reshaping and profiling things.

Thanks George !

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
By way of apology for speaking so bluntly, I would like to point something out that you did to me in my early days Jim.
Search the forums for your answers, you may well find them before asking the questions.
This subject has already been somewhat extensively researched, I said in that thread everything I had to say on the subject.

http://www.penturners.co.uk/tools-equipment-accessories/474-you-happy-your-sharpening-3.html

Edlea if you would like to pm me an address I can arrange for some practise tools to be sent to you foc.
I would suggest you learn hand honing rather than rely on machines and jigs to do the job, it would stand you in good stead for future use.

Clumsysod ..I thank you for your kind offer but I have just ordered the Clarke's set as Rowdy has suggested . I'll be back to you once I've bu88erd them up trying to sharpen them !:whistling: I like your idea of hand sharpening which I have thought about ; that is why I didn't go all out to get a bench grinder when I was setting up shop.

Ed

Bluefoxy

If you can afford it the Sorby pro edge is the way to go. I was having trouble sharpening tools on a grinder and then saw a pro edge demonstrated at a local show and bought one on the spot. Sharpening difficulties are now a thing of the past. As Woody states above he sharpens freehand using techniques he learned 55 years ago. I for one don't have that sort of time available to me :wink:

Ray

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
If you can afford it the Sorby pro edge is the way to go. I was having trouble sharpening tools on a grinder and then saw a pro edge demonstrated at a local show and bought one on the spot. Sharpening difficulties are now a thing of the past. As Woody states above he sharpens freehand using techniques he learned 55 years ago. I for one don't have that sort of time available to me :wink:

Ray

But like all sensible men Ray you found a way that fits the bill for you good on yer mate

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have made several tools for people with Carboloy tips the flat type and all you had to do with them is take the tip of and lay it flat on a diamond stone rub it back and forth a few times and they were sharp in fact very sharp
16.jpg

mattyts

Registered
If you need to ask this question can you be trusted with sharp instruments?
Likewise the jig shown is all wrong, the stone is too course the grinder too fast and the toolrest will stop it from making contact after two seconds on that grinder.
It may work for this once on this tool but not all tools are the same length, material, diameter stop digging this hole is getting too big too quick shut up Geoerge.

Was purely to show the jig,we have a much finer wheel on there now and the jig moves forwards and backwards on a rail,ive sharpened full size bowl gouges and tiny wood chisels on this jig and there is plenty of room under the toolrest,it could also be removed if its limiting the access.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Was purely to show the jig,we have a much finer wheel on there now and the jig moves forwards and backwards on a rail,ive sharpened full size bowl gouges and tiny wood chisels on this jig and there is plenty of room under the toolrest,it could also be removed if its limiting the access.
I apologise unreservedly to you all for my outburst, I have no right to tell anybody how to do any particular thing, we all have our own methods and practices.
It is good to share ideas and thoughts and I could have phrased my comments better or not at all as Jim quiet rightly says.
I have no excuses to offer only that it's been a long hard night and I can't keep my big fat clumsy mouth shut.
It's not the first time I have been wrong and I am sure it won't be the last but you have all put up with me so far without too much flack and I am not too big to say sorry.
sorry

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I am like Woody in that I sharpen freehand but on a grinder or by a diamond file. I have a Sorby fingernail profiler but only use it when I want to reshape a gouge to the fingernail profile. It can be done freehand but it can be tedious trying to get it spot on and it is so quick with the profiler!!!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).