• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Turning getting closer

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
No photos but still busy on the workshop front. Nearly finished insulating and boarding out some of the old units back in I should be able to start getting all of the machines in soon.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I thought I put in enough power sockets in my shed when I first got it but I’m still one short! Yeah, it’s on my list!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I thought I put in enough power sockets in my shed when I first got it but I’m still one short! Yeah, it’s on my list!

I did a count up today and need a minimum of 7 twin outlets 1 for the lathe 1 for the mill and DRO 1 for the grinding area 1 for the 2 woodlathes two for the work bench and one for the bandsaw that will be the next step to set up along with lighting I may put in another socket but that will be outside so we can use the lawn mower and strimmer

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I think I put in 6 or 8 doubles plus a weather protected double outside for the jet washer etc. I’ve already had to put in an extra socket near the roof for the air filter. I ideally need another socket near the lathe/bench drill so I don’t need to keep unplugging the shop vac! The best laid plans as they say. :rolling:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
More progress still no electrics yet but at least I am getting some of the bits back in there like machines so it is starting to look like a workshop.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I found that part something of a challenge. Due to the weight of some of the equipment I had to resort to buying an engine hoist. Not easy to use in a confined space!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I found that part something of a challenge. Due to the weight of some of the equipment I had to resort to buying an engine hoist. Not easy to use in a confined space!

At the moment most of the machines and tools can be moved without any mechanical aid as mine is only a hobby shop. Having said that the two new machines that are due anytime may just need a crane of some sort luckily with the size of this workshop I have room to move.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
When I built my shed I put in 12 double GPO and 5 fluro lights, since put another GP on the ceiling for the air filter, a weatherproof double GPO out side, and znotherb4 double GPO around the shed. also added another 4 fluros, all been upgraded to LED fluros.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Still filling the new workshop with all the tools. Then I had to take a step backwards as one of the cupboards was in the wrong place as I measured one of the new machines wrong as I forgot that the table on it travels over 1 ft either way so this meant it needed an extra 2 ft total width the problem was I had filled the cupboard.
Anyway that is now all sorted still need to put more electrics in and the good news is that both of the wood lathes can be reached now they are in their designated place. Starting to look like a workshop now but my main workbench is still cluttered should have that cleared tomorrow.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Before I started filling my shed I made a scale drawing on the computer of all the bits and pieces that needed to go in there. Most of it was straightforward but I had to pay particular attention to the working envelope of the milling machine as the total space needed is greater than it’s static dimensions. It all fitted in without any problems but I’ve added more stuff so it’s still cramped at times.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well One section looking tidy. I now have a dedicated sharpening area just need to make a shelf for all the jigs and sharpening stones for hand sharpening, the cupboards are for nails and screw storage as well as odd fixtures like knobs, hinges and locks.

The grinders may change position as they are just placed there for the moment

grinding station.jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
:thumbs::thumbs:

Where did you hid them in your old shed, by what I remember you didnt have room to pick up a cat let alone swing it.:funny:

You think I had problems the new shed is now filling up very quick especially as yesterday two new toy turned up can't wait to have a play:tongue:

Attachments

• new toy 1.jpg
    new toy 1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 48
  • new toy 2.jpg
    new toy 2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 48

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
@ wm460 well Mark they are now all set up except the mill needs to move to the left a little

Attachments

• new toys.jpg
    new toys.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 29

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
It’s best to leave as much room as you can to the left of the lathe so you can pass long stock through the head. I often pass long work pieces through the head stock to work on them. My bench drill is to the left of my lathe so I’ve used the table before to support very long stuff for turning. In commercial situations the head often faces into the work area for this reason.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).