• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Up the ladder

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have been up and down the ladder all day scraping moss off the roof and emptying the gutters. I have done it every year for a number of years, but last year I swore it was the last as I had started getting a bit queasy at the top of the ladder. My neighbour and I take it in turns 15 minutes at a time doing front and back of our two roofs and plus the neighbour's roof front and back, next door but one, but two years ago she acquired a live in boyfriend and I refused to do hers unless he joined in and helped even if it was holding the ladders, but he wouldn't do it. She has just asked me if I will scrape the moss off her roof front and back for £100. I said I don't like being up the ladder and feel uneasy all the time I am up there and it would be better to get someone in if her boyfriend wouldn't do it and she said she has looked at having someone do it for her and it would cost between £350 and £500 they both work and are earning money so she can pay for someone else to do it, but not me, she also voted Remain:funny:

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
May be she can get some cheap labour via the EU ..but tell her to be sharpish about it :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
£100? And here is me thinking labour was only cheap in my neck of the woods .. :goesred:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Her stay in decision was unwise all round. A long sliding ladder is an awful feeling not to be sought out IMHO. What is the best Moss Remover Peter?

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Her stay in decision was unwise all round. A long sliding ladder is an awful feeling not to be sought out IMHO. What is the best Moss Remover Peter?

Peter.

I have no idea, we have some chemical moss killer that we can spray on, but I bought a 5metre telescopic pole and fashioned my own aluminium scraper for the end, so it is getting scraped and then it will be sprayed, but it grows back every year. Maybe it would be good to use boating anti fowling chems, I wish I could find something that lasted a few years.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Does this happen to glazed tiles like the Wunderlich ones I remember you saying you had concrete tiles. Our biggest problem over here is bleaching on our concrete tiles, had them spray painted three times.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Today travelling through 1930,s built brick homes the glazed tile roofs stood out like sentinels. Mould etc is found on the southern sides of our houses. Heavy frost times are with us now snow in the hills. Moss on the ground nearly cost me broken foot and arm making us cautious.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I am led to believe that a wide strip of copper fixed just under or at the ridge tiles will stop moss growing, but don't know if it is true or how much copper must be there to be effective.

Peter

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I am led to believe that a wide strip of copper fixed just under or at the ridge tiles will stop moss growing, but don't know if it is true or how much copper must be there to be effective.

Peter
It's true. The rain run off from a copper strip on the ridge of a roof copper will kill/prevent moss growth. If you look at the active ingredients of moss killer spays, it is copper sulphate.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).