• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Watch parts blank

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
Educational experience for sure. When I saw the ultrasonic cleaner I was quite curious and was hoping things would turn out better. Are you keeping a journal as to what does not work in your experiments?

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Educational experience for sure. When I saw the ultrasonic cleaner I was quite curious and was hoping things would turn out better. Are you keeping a journal as to what does not work in your experiments?

I am quite happy experimenting this way. The ultra sonic works ok but probably as well sitting it on the bandsaw or vacuum cleaner and switching them on. I do have 1 or 2 notes but there is quite a few ways to approach casting.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I used the pillar drill. I drilled an 8mm hole down a pen blank and then cut it through on the halfway line, giving me 2 curved formers.
I place a piece, gear or whatever across the blank, I then used a piece of 7mm silver steel on top and press it down using the pillar drill.
If you need it any clearer I will take a photo of the set up. In fact I am going to cast another couple so will take pics. :thumbs:
I use CA to stick them on

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
@ John
I used the pillar drill. I drilled an 8mm hole down a pen blank and then cut it through on the halfway line, giving me 2 curved formers.
I place a piece, gear or whatever across the blank, I then used a piece of 7mm silver steel on top and press it down using the pillar drill.
If you need it any clearer I will take a photo of the set up. In fact I am going to cast another couple so will take pics. :thumbs:
I use CA to stick them on

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Don I have been searching for the jewelry blocks and hammers at a reasonable price for some time now its a messy task even getting to the shaping I have admiration for the makers who seek out the jewels in the movements and include them the increased awareness has made scavenging more difficult to find pre battery driven watches to dismantle its like saying Omega or Rolls Royce I have taken to any old watches mate as the request bottom line when fossicking.Recently found the opening of pandoras box in the form of thinning coins to use in casting as well just like rubbing the ancient vase the genie has popped out of the bottle for me. I have a dream to fulfill involving a skeleton clock and a watch I bought that has dual movements, casting material and secret ingredients on the backburner now for some time.

The most respected caster I know is Les in Canada for pens and preservation I regard him as a Guru.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Yes Ed I worry about the wooden ones so much easier with metal dapping blocks thinking aluminium for freight considerations. Our govt is about to introduce stern taxes etc on imports at the moment we can import to the value of 1000 dollars without attracting customs.Apparently its minimal in the US lousy in Canada and the UK. My regards to Toni.

Thanks Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).