• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What’s best

Dantanfig

First Name
Mark
Hi all
looking for help
I want to start casting my own pen blanks and small pots approx 6” dia I have made a presspure pot
i am ready to purchase some reisin but there are so many to choose from would anyone have a n idea which make would suit me best

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Casting is not my thing I'm afraid, but several people here are into casting, and one or two of them may be along later to give you some advice Mark

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
There are a number of options but from my anecdotal experience Alumilite clear slow seems to be very popular. I’ve had some success with this myself and it’s used by some of the better known resin casters.
Cheers
Ash

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Basically 3 types of resin you can get easily.
Polyester, Polyurethane and Epoxy.

Polyester is the cheapest, doesn't require a pot but stinks to high heaven and is brittle. I used to use it a lot but have moved to epoxy.

Epoxy is next in cost, doesn't always need a pot but better results with, I use it for embedded objects when I want a clear glass like look. Best out there is Glasscast 10. Alumlite Amazing Clear Cast is epoxy also, don't waste your money, it's pants. Might be ok for a tubed pen but for what you want, nope. I have had a body go like a banana when sanding. The heat softens it and with no tube to support it it goes soft.

Alumilite Clear and Slow are polyurethane and the most expensive but also the best for what we want. Def requires a pot.
Clear has a pot life of approx 7 minutes, Slow is 12 minutes. But the guys in the US combine the timing with temperature, I haven't done enough to get this down to an art so I stick to the timings and my little temp gun. This is the stuff the top casters use. They also have a quicker de-mould time, approx 1 - 2 hours. So in theory you can make a lot of blanks in a day.

I do like to leave them for a week to fully cure though, get a much better finish on them but you can play with them the next day.

Hope this help guys.

Couple of photos of my own casts, 1 is a hybrid
Kitless Pkoenix Fire 5.jpgKitless Northern Abalone hybrid 5.jpg

Dantanfig

First Name
Mark
There are a number of options but from my anecdotal experience Alumilite clear slow seems to be very popular. I’ve had some success with this myself and it’s used by some of the better known resin casters.
Cheers
Ash
Many thanks for all the help

Dantanfig

First Name
Mark
Hi all
looking for help
I want to start casting my own pen blanks and small pots approx 6” dia I have made a presspure pot
i am ready to purchase some reisin but there are so many to choose from would anyone have a n idea which make would suit me best

Polyester is the cheapest, doesn't require a pot but stinks to high heaven and is brittle. I used to use it a lot but have moved to epoxy.

Epoxy is next in cost, doesn't always need a pot but better results with, I use it for embedded objects when I want a clear glass like look. Best out there is Glasscast 10. Alumlite Amazing Clear Cast is epoxy also, don't waste your money, it's pants. Might be ok for a tubed pen but for what you want, nope. I have had a body go like a banana when sanding. The heat softens it and with no tube to support it it goes soft.

Alumilite Clear and Slow are polyurethane and the most expensive but also the best for what we want. Def requires a pot.
Clear has a pot life of approx 7 minutes, Slow is 12 minutes. But the guys in the US combine the timing with temperature, I haven't done enough to get this down to an art so I stick to the timings and my little temp gun. This is the stuff the top casters use. They also have a quicker de-mould time, approx 1 - 2 hours. So in theory you can make a lot of blanks in a day.

I do like to leave them for a week to fully cure though, get a much better finish on them but you can play with them the next day.

Hope this help guys.

View attachment 48434View attachment 48435
Many thanks for all the help

Scott

First Name
Scott
When you say you’ve made a pressure pot, what do you mean ?
Please be aware of the safety concerns about pressurising random vessels to 50 or 60 psi.
Personally I use vista resins fro Vuba.
Based and made in the north of England.

Dantanfig

First Name
Mark
When you say you’ve made a pressure pot, what do you mean ?
Please be aware of the safety concerns about pressurising random vessels to 50 or 60 psi.
Personally I use vista resins fro Vuba.
Based and made in the north of England.
Thanks for the concern
I have converted a paint sprayer pressure pot took a lot of advice about it
there’s plenty of YouTube videos that are very good

Antcha

First Name
Tony

Hope this help guys.

View attachment 48434View attachment 48435
I really like your hybrid. To be able to replicate that one would be superb. Though I would settle to be able turn it myself. (That cannot happen at the moment. It’s a case of living or turning pens with turning getting close to winning). 😂

Antcha

First Name
Tony
Bammer, I really like your hybrid. To be able to replicate that one would be superb. Though I would settle to be able turn it myself. (That cannot happen at the moment. It’s a case of living or turning pens with turning getting close to winning). 😂
BTW Bammer, thanks for the descriptive on types of resin.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).