• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What I have been playing at

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well things have not be good for me managed to stuff up a coupling rod and had to reorder some more metal well it arrived and I started again on the one that was not right and then to top that I managed to stuff that up as well so now onto number three touch wood It will go right this time. I did spend a good week on getting the quartering correct and the rods to the right length before the mishap.
But in the mean time I did manage to make the sliding valves for it which at least went right.

Attachments

• DSCF2605.jpg
    DSCF2605.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF2615.jpg
    DSCF2615.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF2624.jpg
    DSCF2624.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 39

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
There has been some progress on this build but another quick project has popped up well I said quick but has not turned out that way.

Anyway just a quick update on this.

Cylinders machined and the valve chests.

Attachments

• DSCF2714.jpg
    DSCF2714.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF2715.jpg
    DSCF2715.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 16

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Things on the loco build have been a bit slow what with the excavator build and gardening preparing for our winter, digging up some of the dahlias for winter storage and dividing, picking some brussel sprouts and freezing them for the wife I hate the things.

Anyway I have managed some work on the cylinder end caps one end is pretty simple case of just turning to the correct size the other end has the gland nut and packing for the piston rod they still need a little work as they still need the gland milling to the correct size and the hole enlarged to be threaded for the gland nut.

I also managed to turn the two crosshead gudgeon pins which also needed a slot for a scewdriver to fit them. I did have to make one of them twice as they are fiddly to make they only have 1/2" diameter heads.

Attachments

• DSCF2899.jpg
    DSCF2899.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF2888.jpg
    DSCF2888.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 7

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Just a little update cylinder end covers and packing gland all done ready to drill fixing holes

Attachments

• DSCF2721.JPG
    DSCF2721.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2901.JPG
    DSCF2901.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Full steam ahead mate, you might think it's slow.... But that's a lot quicker than I could ever do.... Nah, I just couldn't do it
Good luck mate and please keep these progress up dates coming....

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Full steam ahead mate, you might think it's slow.... But that's a lot quicker than I could ever do.... Nah, I just couldn't do it
Good luck mate and please keep these progress up dates coming....
But I do have an excuse trying to make the jewelry boxes as well as some gardening, decorating the bathroom so kept busy

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
The local model steam railway club used to have open days a couple of times a year when I was a child. My dad used to take me along, and I was always amazed at the skills on display in working machines. I can't wait to see this assembled Derek.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
The local model steam railway club used to have open days a couple of times a year when I was a child. My dad used to take me along, and I was always amazed at the skills on display in working machines. I can't wait to see this assembled Derek.
Could be waiting a long time before this is finished. I did say to the wife I wanted a long term project and it was either this or decorating the house:lmao:
:lmao::lmao:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).