• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which glue for segmenting?

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I was wondering which glues people are using for their segmenting work? I want to segment wood, acrylic and possibly metal. I've tried CA, but managed to stick more of myself than the blank! :rolling:

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Personally, I only use CA for segmenting but I don't do much. I have tried Gorilla wood glue which worked well but takes time to set. I did try the expanding wood glue but it didn't work and if you don't clamp the work right it pushes the segments out of line.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Simon, Walter, thanks.

I've ordered some Gorilla Glue (the polyurethane version) for gluing the tubes, as I had been using CA for that, with mixed results. I'm assuming that Gorilla Glue won't be much good for segmenting, as it foams, but I could be wrong? I was thinking that epoxy would be a better choice for segmenting? Is there any brand that's considered best? I was thinking of getting one of the West System packs, but is there anything better (or as good but, cheaper)?

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I'd use Cascamite or Titebond 3 for wood but Epoxy for wood to metal joints.
Wests Epoxy is very good stuff.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I used five minute epoxy yesterday man it is short time rushing just for one pen.Used to use it in split packs to cover underground joints while working with Civil Aviation on Runway and Taxiway lighting. Early days (the 60,s a giant US bomber cleaned up twenty of the lights with its broad droopy wings).

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Not done any for a long while.

But when I do I use the cheap Poundland "Tommys" diy epoxy glue Mel.

Used all glue types in the past and find that does the job and is cheap so "stick to it" pardon the pun.:funny:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Simon, Walter, thanks.

I've ordered some Gorilla Glue (the polyurethane version) for gluing the tubes, as I had been using CA for that, with mixed results. I'm assuming that Gorilla Glue won't be much good for segmenting, as it foams, but I could be wrong? I was thinking that epoxy would be a better choice for segmenting? Is there any brand that's considered best? I was thinking of getting one of the West System packs, but is there anything better (or as good but, cheaper)?

PU is fine for gluing tubes. Not my preferred choice but lots of people use it successfully.

Epoxy would definitely be a better choice for segmenting. I don't think you need anything fancy, I generally use araldite or Z-poxy but I am sure the poundland stuff Eamonn uses is fine too. He wouldn't say it was if it didn't do the job.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Thanks for the advice everyone. Epoxy it is, and maybe I won't worry about the brand too much!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well again I find I'm in the minority camp I have been using med velocity super glue on my segmented pens for years for all manner of materials and have never had one single finished pen fail on me and I do make quite a few of them of all different designs in fact I still use one that I made some 10 years ago so were does this idea comes from that its no good in fact I have a few new ideas floating around using copper, plastic, and corian and I will again use super glue epoxy resin I find to messy and a lot goes to waste if it isn't used up in the time it takes to start setting
I have always found it is best to use good ol trial and error that way you can make up your own mind as to what you prefer using no matter what other people think in the end you have satisfied your own mind by all means ask but still try out the different methods to find the one that is right for you
With me I dont like using ca as a finish I think it is horrid stuff but I like using it for segmenting because I can do that outside so the fumes from it are not a problem
So thats me Happy turning

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
I've only tried segmenting two pens so far. The first was epoxy between aluminium and acrylic, the second was medium CA. Both joints melted during drilling. Ergo my problem is being to heavy handed with the drilling, but any suggestions on which is better in regards to general heat resistance ?

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
As far as I know they will all suffer from too much heat and that's where your turning and tools come into it, slow down don't push the tools on the blanks, sharp tools helps too, when you get it right you will know! if that makes sense..:thinks:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Any segmanted work I do I use one of the following depending on what it is and the materials Cascamite, Epoxy and CA. The first only on larger wood only items and for pens either of the other two when mixing materials. Epoxy is good in as much that it can gap fill not that you want any gaps in segmented work.
At the end of the day the final choice will be down to the end user.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Gorilla glue was created to glue different materials together. Follow the instructions. A little goes a long way. Clamp and let it cure. I use it for glueing in tubes and let it dry overnight. Never had a failure.

A word on epoxy. Avoid the 5 minute drying version. Long cure is much stronger.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).