• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which pen kits?

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I've just started turning pens, and am looking to try out some different kits. The problem is that the choice is a bit overwhelming! So far I've tried a few Sierra and Executive kits from Vince at The Turners Workshop, which I've liked. I also had a few slimline (I assume) kits, which came with my Rotur mandrel, which I wasn't so keen on - they felt a bit cheap, and I didn't really like the slim shape.

Can anyone recommend a few different good quality, good value pen kits to try?

Thanks,
Melanie

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
My suggestions, for the balance between value and cost would be some of the Taylors of Mirfield kits TM Pen Kits – Taylors Mirfield. I have used the Omega, and Zeta. I have some Alphas, yet to be turned, but have no reason to doubt that the others will not be of similar quality.

The other that I think worthy of note is the Beaufort Ink Tempest Beaufort pen kits

Personally, I would chose a kit or two and make some pens with them- explore different platings and blanks. I would avoid buying loads of different styles, because you will be tempted to buy the cheapest ones available, and having expended the same amount of effort as with a top quality kit, you will be disappointed with the overall results.

There are some other suppliers out there, but I cant speak from experience because I havent used them.

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
welcome to the forum by the way. You may not be aware, but there are some forum discounts available from the above suppliers.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Mark, thanks very much. I was actually just looking at some of those TM kits, so it's nice to get a recommendation for them. I totally agree with you regarding cheap/low quality kits - that's one of the reasons I wasn't keen on the slimlines, they took longer to make than the other pens and ended up nowhere near as nice.

I didn't know about the discounts, so thanks for that, I'll check them out! :winking:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I do like to see people asking for good quality and good value rather than just cheap. It makes me want to help them rather than just scroll on by.

I agree with Mark that Taylors Mirfield would be a good starting point for good quality kits that are of excellent quality for the price and that at the other end of the market, Beaufort Ink kits, whilst more expensive are worth every penny of the price.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Hi Walter, thanks for seconding those recommendations!

I'm definitely not after cheap kits - I don't see the point in spending time and money turning a pen which isn't going to be the best it can be. I would love to make a top quality fountain pen, but I know that the kits for those can be quite pricey, so I'll leave those for a few weeks! :wink:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Whilst I agree with some of what you say Melanie, I think it depends on what you are looking for in pen turning, if you are going to sell pens then yes go for whatever you feel are the best kits, where as I and i'm sure a lot more only do it for a hobby, I have only used a few Zetas and a few Sierras plus a couple of Fountain pen kits, but messing about like i do to keep me active then Slimlines suit me fine and depends what you do to them decides if they look cheap etc!
just me though, an old dodgy git, but happy enough with a couple of lathes to bugger about with, and plenty of Slimlines cheap or not, would be silly to buy expensive kits to suit myself..:thinks:

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Hi Ted, yes, of course, you are right that it depends on what you are doing them for. I do enjoy turning, but ideally I'd eventually like to sell them, so I'd like to find the best kits I can reasonably afford. I already make and sell dip pens for calligraphy (though I don't turn those), so thought that this could be an additional string to my bow.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hi Ted, yes, of course, you are right that it depends on what you are doing them for. I do enjoy turning, but ideally I'd eventually like to sell them, so I'd like to find the best kits I can reasonably afford. I already make and sell dip pens for calligraphy (though I don't turn those), so thought that this could be an additional string to my bow.

Those dip pens that you talk about would be something I would maybe try to turn in Metal some time, is it hard to find the nib holding inserts?

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I don't make the straight penholders, which take the inserts - the inserts used to be available from Stiles and Bates, but I've just had a quick look and they don't seem to have them. I make oblique penholders, used for Copperplate and Spencerian calligraphy, which put the nib at a slanted angle. I make the metal nib holders for those myself. I used to turn the pens, but then I started making ergonomic ones, like these (there's no nib inserted in them, but hopefully you can make out where they go!) View attachment 32324

EDIT: Just found the inserts here

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Hi Melanie, I like the TM Omega, they sell well along with the Zeta. But Slimlines don't have to be slim, give them a bit of shape and character along with a nice grain or acrylic and they can be very desirable. IMHO. :thumbs:

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Thanks John, looks like those TM pens are definite buys! I'm still not sure about the slimline, I've seen that you can turn them wider, etc, but still not convinced! :thinks:

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Peter, that is very nice. I like it with that centre band. What is the advantage of making a slimline with a streamline centre band over a normal streamline pen?

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Hi Barry, I do like the look of the streamline in comparison the the slimline. My only concern is with the pricing. I currently make my living selling dip pens, I'd like to diversify a bit and add turned pens to my range, but I don't really see the slimlines or streamlines being cost effective to sell, with regards to the amount of time spent making them. Ideally I'm looking to make pens in the £40+ range, as that's where most of my existing customers are.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
It you're looking at selling in the £40+ range Melanie then it all depends on what you value your time as. In that price range I would be using pens from Beaufort Ink. Pens from TM I would sell at around £30. However all penmakers price their time differently. I would work on two hours absolute maximum to make a pen. If I was making several at one time that would go down to one hour. No doubt you'll get different opinions.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Hi Keith, thanks for that advice.

To be honest, I know this isn't really a way to run a business, but I don't really price my time as such. Some of my dip pens take a lot more time than others, and I price them similarly, as I can't really justify the extra cost of those pens (the end look is similar, it's just some materials are a lot harder to work with). Most of my dip pens are between £60 and £100+. I'd like to be able to offer a comparable quality 'normal' pen range to my customers, so want the prices to be somewhat in line with what I'm already charging. I'm not too fixed on the price - it could be £30 or £40+, but I'm not really wanting to get into sub £15-20 pens. They're not cost effective for me, and not what my customers are expecting.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
In that case Melanie I'd steer clear of the slim lines but they are the cheapest kit for practising on and the skills needed to turn a cheap pen is the same as an expensive one. In the price range you're targetting though the quality of your work is paramount as is the finishing which opens up a whole can of worms on people's preferences. Have you posted any pens yet for our critique?

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Like a few others have said Dan at Taylor Mirfield offer some good pens at a reasonable price and he seems to have got the quality angle sorted with his own range of pens.

The omegas are a good quality & better than the comparable Jr Gent 2 IMOH. The Zeta & epsilon are again good quality and would make a good fit if looking for something a little different to the Sierra. The Delta is similar to the streamline but the tubes are 1mm bigger, now I know size isn't everything but that 1mm just gives you a little more chunkyness.

The Alphas are my best seller and I feel worth that little extra, great quality in the kit, sometimes a little fiddly to put together but a top pen when paired with the right materials.

Also available but from Phil at Beaufort Ink is the new Tempest a clicker, and for the price, I believe to be the best pen in its class.

Both Dan & Phil offer a top service and a few different pen designs but then there are others that can match this, im sure others will come forward singing their praises.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).