• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Thanks again everyone, a Pro Edge it is.

Before I go ahead and order, assuming I get the Deluxe system, is there anything else I'm going to need to get started with it? I don't want to get it and then find I'm missing an essential bit of kit.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Yes - Ceramic belts. Mine came with aluminium oxide belts, and I'm not sure if that is still the case, but ceramic will give you a much cooler grind. (ooh err)
Ignore what you might read about the purpose of each type of belt - in my opinion you are better just stick with ceramic for turning tools.

I use 120g for general sharpening and touching up, and 60g for re-shaping. I find though that 120 is a tad too harsh to begin with, and 240 is way too fine for the job, so when I fit a new belt I always make a point of sharpening a few scrapers first off, before I let my gouges anywhere near it. I'm aware of the arguments about worn abrasives being worn abrasives of course, not finer abrasives, which is perfectly true, but in this particular case I do find it beneficial to have the belt slightly worn.

There is nothing else at all that you will need to buy alongside the Deluxe, apart from belts, if all you want to sharpen is turning tools or flat tools.

(an allan key to fit the back of the V-block would be handy in the long term though - mine works loose from time to time)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Show us your new purchase Melanie, your running in and assessment .So many members have bought them with the comments they wished they had two, a wonderful intro.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Thanks again everyone, a Pro Edge it is.

Before I go ahead and order, assuming I get the Deluxe system, is there anything else I'm going to need to get started with it? I don't want to get it and then find I'm missing an essential bit of kit.

Don't worry Melanie what ever you get, you will always need something esle, a bigger shed is proberly the hardest thing to acquire.:sob:

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Taking into account all of your esteemed advice, I placed my order with Oliver's Woodturning for the Pro Edge yesterday at midday. It arrived at 10.30 this morning! :thumbs:

I'm out most of today, so I'm not going to have a chance to have a play until tomorrow, but I'll let you know how I get on.

If it doesn't turn me into a world class woodturner, I'm blaming you lot! :face:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).