• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

White Bowl

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
I found this in it's raw wood state in my garden shed the other day, the end grain was sealed, it was a squarish and it was heavy. It has been in there for at least four years.
It was to big to swing in my lathe by about 4in diameter (i can only swing 12in dia) so i cut the corners off till I could swing it.
Does any one know what wood it is. I have just made some coffee dampers and they were out of Maple, the wood from my garden shed cuts just like the Maple bey the growth rings are more prominent.
Finishing it (as in the male coffee dampers) is a dream. I sanded it down to 1000 grit then used 0000 steels wool with a final polish with bee's wax. It is very nice to touch, and absolutely smooth. Finished bowl size is about 9in dia.

Attachments

• 20220830_160347 (1).jpg
    20220830_160347 (1).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 42

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
Very nice I think you will find it may be service wood you dont see much of it around now a days it is related to the ash tree

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).