• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Who reads the notices in the left hand column on the home page?

Who reads the notices in the left hand column on the home page?

• Its open on my browser and I read any messages that appear there

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • It's open on my browser but I don't pay it any attention

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I know it's there but I keep it closed

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I didn't know there was a column on the left

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Forum Phil

Minder of the cogs & wheels
Registered
First Name
Phil
If you go to the home page, you'll notice there's a column on the left hand side of the page. If you can't see it, click on the arrows on the far left, a little way down the page and it will "un-hide" itself.

I've put notices there on a few occasion in the past and I'm just interested to know how useful that space is for information sharing or drawing attention to particular items.

I'd be grateful if you'd please take part in the poll to let me know - thanks.

Forum Phil

Minder of the cogs & wheels
Registered
First Name
Phil
I voted, "I know it's there but I keep it closed."

Which is half right,"I know it's there"

When I right click in the google icon in my task bar, in the list that pops up I select "New Post"
so I by past the home page.:ciggrin:

So you don't get to see the sparkly new Pen of the Week feature at the top of the page then either. :thinks:

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I tend to do the same, just click on 'What's New'. I do check the homepage sometimes, but it's probably only once every couple of days.

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
It's rare that I ever see the homepage, I've got Chrome set to re-opens with previous tabs... for my pinned PTF tab that's usually either the 'New Posts' page or the last thread I was reading, and then I hit the new posts.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
I ignore it for the simple reason I just don't trust anything where I don't know the source. If it were clear that it was something being put up by the moderators I might open or read it. I never go near any of the ads for the same reason. I really don't need an introduction to a foreign lady thank you, and goodness only knows what one might catch if one did ( at the very least a computer virus I suspect). Seriously I do appreciate that it is the adverts that pay for the site in essence. What I might do from time to time if I saw something I was interested in, would be to visit that advertiser's website directly in a browser rather than clicking though a banner ad. I don't see how one can be sure with a banner ad that one is actually going where one expects. Maybe I am a bit paranoid on this but there you go.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I ignore it for the simple reason I just don't trust anything where I don't know the source. If it were clear that it was something being put up by the moderators I might open or read it. I never go near any of the ads for the same reason. I really don't need an introduction to a foreign lady thank you, and goodness only knows what one might catch if one did ( at the very least a computer virus I suspect). Seriously I do appreciate that it is the adverts that pay for the site in essence. What I might do from time to time if I saw something I was interested in, would be to visit that advertiser's website directly in a browser rather than clicking though a banner ad. I don't see how one can be sure with a banner ad that one is actually going where one expects. Maybe I am a bit paranoid on this but there you go.

I know what you're saying Allen, but it isn't the ads I was meaning. For instance, if you go to the home page now, you'll find a little box there entitled "Notices". It's quite clear that it's put there by me and not an advert.

The adverts by the way are put there by Google, by arrangement with the forum. The revenue from them, tiny though it is, helps the Forum to wash its face in terms of admin and hosting cost. It's the only revenue the forum has and without it there would be no forum. I get to control the settings for the google ads though, so that way I can be sure that nothing underhand appears.

The ads that you see on your screen are driven by your own browsing patterns, so everyone sees different ads - we're not all seeing the same ones.

Foreign ladies you say?:thinks:

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I've seen it there but not really took much notice as I thought it was just more advertising! Hopefuly I'll start reading it a bit more when I've got a bit more time on my hands now I know it's not advertising! If I had have read it I might have known about the completions etc as I only realised the forum had competions when I saw the christmas competition results.

Sent from my mobile (as still can't access the forum from my home isp)

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I always land on the home page, I see the wonderful pens of the week and you never know there may be an important message down the left hand side.

I think we used to see a list of recent posts, its a resource than could be very useful

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).