• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wonder Window blank?

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
Hi Jim
I always turn any square blank round, the easiest way I find to do it is mark off the centre off both ends of the blank then centre drill the ends then I mount it between a spur drive centre and a revolving centre on the lathe and turn it round.

Robin

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
I thought about using my chuck, but the problem with that is the round blue portion of the blank isn't centered in the rectangular red portion. But I'm not sure a spur drive would "bite" an acrylic blank enough. I don't know what to do.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Has anyone turned a Wonder Window blank? How exactly did you do it? The instructions say to turn it "roundish" so you can see where to cut and drill it. But it's rectangular, not square, so it won't center in a chuck. Maybe a spur drive with a spring loaded point?

Apprentice Safety Drive Center | Shop Supplies | Craft Supplies USA

I would use the above in the head stock and this in the tail stock.

Apprentice Safety Revolving Center | Shop Supplies | Craft Supplies USA

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I use a spur drive on acrylic blanks Jim some bite in better than others but I only take light cuts on the harder ones, also I use a small metal turning lathe on automatic feed if they are really hard.

Robin
I thought about using my chuck, but the problem with that is the round blue portion of the blank isn't centered in the rectangular red portion. But I'm not sure a spur drive would "bite" an acrylic blank enough. I don't know what to do.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Hi Jim
I always turn any square blank round, the easiest way I find to do it is mark off the centre off both ends of the blank then centre drill the ends then I mount it between a spur drive centre and a revolving centre on the lathe and turn it round.

Robin

That's what I do. Drilling the blank first is daft IMO, not sure who came up with that idea but suspect it was the tool sellers.

Jim

Grand Master
Looking forward to seeing the final results with this blank Jim .. :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).