• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

wood over hand problem on pen`s

diviy

Apprentice Member
First Name
gerry
I am having a problem with the nib section of pens 21330674_1305556136239430_883606533_o.jpg you can see a overhang at the top of the image.
I have tried different mandrels and other bushes the bushes are fom axminster measured them today and they are not 100% round so any advice of how to cure problem or is it a case of just getting better bushes ?
Cheers Gerry

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I turn my bushes down and always caliper from the kit parts, unless you are turning large numbers when I would make a go,no go piece for each end checked each time on the kit parts. Bear in mind I only ever have turned half a pen at a time.

Peter.

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Bent mandrel might cause this. I have also had problems with bushes which are loose on the mandrel - I wrapped ptfe tape around the mandrel to obtain a nice fit.

However, I almost always turn between centres now.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
The questions I would ask are

What mandrel are you using?

Are you using a mandrel saver?

Have you checked the alignment of your mandrel shaft?
(Put the mandrel and a flat surface and roll it back and fourth)
Flat surface can be a lathe bed, saw bench, band saw or a even kitchen worktop would

The bent shaft could be caused by overnightening of the tail stock, that will naturally force the shaft to bow and cause the off set you are experienceing as well.

Did you measure the bushes before you used them? If they were not worn or off set then you setup or lathe is the problem.

Check the fitting of the bushes on the mandrel shaft, are they a loose fit or a snug fit?

What is the fit of the centre band and clip end like? Are they the same with a out of centre fit?

You may have a combination of problems that you are missing, some of the above may help with that.

Might be worth buying the mandrel and bushes from one supplied, if there is a

diviy

Apprentice Member
First Name
gerry
i have ordered a new mandrel and bushes from the same company just to see if it`s the mandrel or bushes cheers for all the help .:thumbs::thumbs:
Gerry

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
When I used to have the Axminster Evolution mandrel & other makes of bushes where too loose, I used the Rizla papers that they use for rolling cigarettes, worked a treat.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Lots of pointers there for you Gerry, but I think that on of them, mentioned by Eamonn (silver) above needs highlighting. Were the bushes out of round in their virgin state? You have no way of knowing now of course, but with your new mandrel, you ought to order some replacement bushes too - you're going to need them anyway.

I think it is most likely that they were perfectly round before use, and that the problem lies with your set up. Even overtightening a mandrel, or too much pressure from a saver can cause a problem, but as there are SO many viariables, I think the only thing you can do is to examine each step, one by one.

You've done a kiss test - it's fine.
You've ordered a new mandrel - do a roll test.
Order some new bushes - make sure they're round both outside and in. Make sure the hole is central too.
Examine the relationship between the hole and the diameter of the mandrel shaft - Axi mandrels are notoriously thin.
Mount up your mandrel and run the lathe slowly without the tail stock in place - if you have a straight mandrel from your roll test, you are now examining how true the collet is.
If, in that order, all of the above is working out fine, turn a pen. If the problem still persists, it will most likely be in the centre of the mandrel rather than the ends, and you have nothing left but the fact that you may be over tightening your mandrel.

Les ELm

Executive Member
First Name
Les
Make sure you dead center and live center lines up with the lathe shut down and with it running
TBC without bushing. and use your calipers.

No more out of round blanks and eliminates a lot of other issues.

Les

diviy

Apprentice Member
First Name
gerry
cheers for all the advice i have ordered new bushes and a mandrel centre so take it from there !!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).