• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Workshop tidy up

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Hi all

Have been getting a bit more organised in my workshop. A few things moved around, some homes found for tools, and at long last a start made on organising my workbench drawers so that they aren't a muddle of stuff - I can only show you one drawer though....guess what the others look like :wink:

A few more magnetic racks...

2016-08-05 18.16.43.jpg
2016-08-05 18.15.58.jpg

New dust collection fitment, with a short magnetic tool bar attached to it. It catches quite a lot of the shavings...

2016-08-05 18.16.13.jpg

A start made on organising one drawer...

2016-08-05 18.18.01.jpg

And two hooks in the ceiling for an old shower curtain to hang in front of my workbench for when I'm doing messy turning and don't what chippings going everywhere... I also bought a three metre length of tumble drier ducting for a fiver with delivery from ebay - not very robust but makes a good floor cleaner and clips nicely to my drill press (and so much cheaper!)

2016-08-05 18.22.18.jpg

Not as much fun as turning, but it's good to be getting more sorted.

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Thanks, Mark
The box houses the inverter for my lathe's motor - I've disconnected the controls on it (apart from the emergency stop) and have run a wire to the remote box which is stuck on the lathe bed with magnets. No problems with rust on the collets...but I only made it yesterday. However, I have sealed it and sprayed it with lacquer so I'm hoping it will be fine. Somewhere I've got some thick perspex...might make a rack up with that instead if I have a problem.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Looking good I need to muster up the energy to tidy up mine but I can never decide where to mount shelves and put things for the best. I am going to have to do something as I have yet an other scroll saw coming this week and a spindle sander to collect tomorrow.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Gosh, you're very tidy Stewart. You don't want to pop round and sort my workshop out do you?!

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
The biggest problem I've got is hoarding things! In one drawer there were probably only five tools I used regularly - I've kept them out and put all the others in a toolbox that is rarely accessed. A bit (lot) of discipline is needed to keep everything tidy...wonder how long it will last...

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Thanks, Mark
The box houses the inverter for my lathe's motor - I've disconnected the controls on it (apart from the emergency stop) and have run a wire to the remote box which is stuck on the lathe bed with magnets. No problems with rust on the collets...but I only made it yesterday. However, I have sealed it and sprayed it with lacquer so I'm hoping it will be fine. Somewhere I've got some thick perspex...might make a rack up with that instead if I have a problem.

I have been thinking about making a wood box to store my collets in, but always worried about rust.
I like your drawer with your chucks etc in,.:thumbs::thumbs:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I have been thinking about making a wood box to store my collets in, but always worried about rust.

Hi Mark just put silica gel in the box you can reuse the gel packs by putting them in the oven but they are so cheap (about £3 for 50) it is not worth it.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William

I use lock and lock food containers for some of my tooling. My ER32 collets in particular are in a lock and lock bacon box.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
My collets are still in the wooden box they came in and each one has it's own plastic bag which I religiously put them back into when I have finished using them.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Inspirational stuff the collets for my hercus lathe are nearly sixty years old they are coping so well with no attention. The modern ones are multi multi cut and shaped more to rust etc. After this past period of rain precautions will be needed here as well.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
My collets are still in the wooden box they came in and each one has it's own plastic bag which I religiously put them back into when I have finished using them.

Peter

You were lucky, my ER 25 set came in a cardboard box with each collet in their own little box, which are slowly deteriorating for use.
The ER40 have plastic container that are so hard to open.
Both sets were covered with shrink wrap cellophane.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).