• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Yew pen fail

Ratty

First Name
David
So close to a nice pen - but due to a moment of utter stupidness I put the centre band in the wrong end of the cap and the grain really shows it.
Dam thing will not move - smacked it to within an inch of destruction using a transfer punch. Give up time to strip it off an reuse the kit.
Lessoned learned check and recheck and then go back and really check lol.

Dave

Attachments

• WP_20160529_21_08_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160529_21_08_19_Pro.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 84
  • WP_20160529_21_07_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160529_21_07_57_Pro.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 83
  • WP_20160529_21_08_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160529_21_08_41_Pro.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 83

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Now that is a shame David, we have all been there, chalk it up and move right along... :sob::vangry:

Jim

Grand Master
Shame David, as said we have all be guilty of this or similar .. Some on more than one occasion ... :whistling:

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
Nice pen David:thumbs::thumbs:
I've made mistakes like that many times.
Years ago I started to rub a wax birthday candle
inside the tube and on anything that gets pressed in, ALWAYS.
This makes dismantling, when necessary, much easier.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
That's a shame David :down:
I cant remember the last time I made a mistake while making a pen :whistling:
OK yes I can, it was Sunday :goesred:

Ratty

First Name
David
I will be making use of the kit on my new lathe(well new to me ) as soon as my new mandrel arrives in the post.
Was gutted as the knot in the top had taken so much work to keep there. But the next one is already planned so will be more fun trying again.
Will definitely be using a bit of wax from now on, thanks for the tip.

Dave

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Shame as it looks like it was a great pen. i can't remember the last time I did that, come to think of it can't remember the last pen I made:whistling::whistling::whistling::devil:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Exhibit A your honour an honest pen maker for his first offence suggest he buys a new kit and starts again. Since it is his first offence no record should be kept of these proceedings.

Brave of you to share.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).