• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ziricote Oblique Dip Pen Holder

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I've mostly been working with acrylic recently, but I was wanting to turn a longer pen and all of my acrylic blanks were too short, so I found out this piece of Ziricote and turned an oblique dip pen holder. Finished with CA. I'm still not very confident with my turning on anything but the simplest shapes, but I'm pretty happy with how this one worked out.

DSCF8221.jpg
DSCF8231.jpg

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
I can't see why you are not confident about turning 'anything but the simplest shapes', very often they are the most difficult . That looks pretty good to me; just out of interest what are the good dimensions for a standard dip pen? (without the offset) , I have 10 to make and am juggling bits of wood.

PG

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Very nice :thumbs: I have got all the bits together to make some straight dip pens for a project for myself. I hope to make a start this week :thinks:

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Keith and Pierre, thanks very much.

Pierre, there isn't really a standard, different people prefer different lengths and widths. Most commercially available penholders are around 16-18cm long, and around 10mm at the narrowest part of the grip. I tend to make mine a little wider, as lots of people prefer a wider pen to try and avoid the 'death grip'. This one is 11.5mm at the narrowest point (16mm at the widest), and 16cm long. Chris Yoke (another penmaker) has a useful chart here with the different sizes of most of the commercially available penholders https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...rison_Chart_-_Metric.pdf?16221097889562223230

Feel free to ask anything else you need to know.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Bill and Vic, thanks very much!

Vic, I've just had my first order for a straight penholder, so I'll be embarking on that one myself in the next couple of days.

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Another beautiful pen, a joy to behold! Thanks for sharing information on dip pens too :thumbs:

Paul hd

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I must admit I didn't even know what a Dip pen holder was. I do now after some research.
I must say your holders look Fantastic.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).