• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Nothing to do with pens

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've been building these mews for a few weeks now when time prevails. I've still got another 3 to go.

Attachments

• aviary.jpg
    aviary.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 65

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
There is a Lanner Falcon, a female and a male Harris hawk in the mews and here is a picture of George in his aviary.

Attachments

• George.jpg
    George.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 64

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Nice Paul...I used to fly my mates Lanner in the 70s .Have also handled Harris hawks too.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Excellent Paul.

Never held one of been close to one. Been to many shows but not that close. They have always fascinated me, even when I read the book of Barry Hind, Kes.. truly great, The film was never as good though..:sob:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Excellent Paul.

Never held one of been close to one. Been to many shows but not that close. They have always fascinated me, even when I read the book of Barry Hind, Kes.. truly great, The film was never as good though..:sob:

You are always welcome to come in and have a look and hold if you're ever passing. Alternatively you could make a trip down and have a Hawk Walk in the summer. Its my sons business and I'll ensure proper mates rates. :thumbs: Another thing he's got me doing is his web site but I'd much rather be turning pens. What do you thing? its a work in progress. www.mendip-falconry.co.uk

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Nice Paul...I used to fly my mates Lanner in the 70s .Have also handled Harris hawks too.

Nice Ed. Lanners are nice to fly. We've only had this one for about 3 months so he's in training at the moment along with the 2 Harris's in the Mews. They're only 20 weeks old. We have another Harris that we rescued from someone who just kept it tied up in a shed and threw it a bit of food once a day. I have a friend who breeds Gyr falcons for the Arabs and my son has his eye on one of those... but only if the price comes down a lot... a big lot. The cheapest he sells one for is £19,000 and all he can produce is already sold.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I suppose if you stuffed one inside the other then into the third, it might be enough for 2.

Seriously though well done with the mews and good luck with the rest of them. They are stunning creatures and it's always nice to see photos of them when you don't come in contact all that often.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Its falconry that got me into woodturning as I wanted to make the blocks for the owls and falcons (hawks have a bow perch). Here's a couple I've made.

Attachments

• blocks2.jpg
    blocks2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 57

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Paul,

Very new to me I have only heard of the Royal Mews in the past. Watched many documentaries covering the keeping traditions, disciplines of Falconry, hunting Birds of prey.

They seem pretty solitary, require rather intensive bonding etc.

Thank you for your interesting pics and stories and wish you son well with his obsession I believe you have done him proud in every way. His Xmas Greetings on his worthy site I also reciprocate extend to you and families.:thumbs:

Kind regards Peter.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Fascinating subject beautiful pics, great website Would love to visit sometimes it sure looks spectacular.
I used to know a gamekeeper who was involved in something similar, spent a lot of time watching.
Many years ago now looking back, nice memories.
He had a massive American Eagle Owl which simply mesmerised me.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for sharing this Paul, i am always interested in learning about such birds, i recall seeing the film Kes when it was first screened many years ago .. The mews look good and here is wishing your Son all the best in his business ... :thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I know nothing about birds of prey (clearly) but you look like you`ve made a great job of the mews Paul. :thumbs:

The web site looks good to :up:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Speechless! George is a particularly handsome fellow, isn't he? I haven't forgotten about him on a pen - just snowed under with commission work at the mo ...

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Fascinating subject beautiful pics, great website Would love to visit sometimes it sure looks spectacular.
I used to know a gamekeeper who was involved in something similar, spent a lot of time watching.
Many years ago now looking back, nice memories.
He had a massive American Eagle Owl which simply mesmerised me.

It is a great sport Grump and you would be very welcome to come and visit. I had an eagle owl until earlier this year until a young vet gave it too much anaesthetic and killed it. I could have killed him.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Speechless! George is a particularly handsome fellow, isn't he? I haven't forgotten about him on a pen - just snowed under with commission work at the mo ...

Thanks David, no problem, whenever you get around to it.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks for sharing this Paul, i am always interested in learning about such birds, i recall seeing the film Kes when it was first screened many years ago .. The mews look good and here is wishing your Son all the best in his business ... :thumbs:

Thank you Jim, it is very interesting and very rewarding when such birds come back to you and even cuddle into you. George thinks he's a parrot and sits on my shoulder.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Paul,

Very new to me I have only heard of the Royal Mews in the past. Watched many documentaries covering the keeping traditions, disciplines of Falconry, hunting Birds of prey.

They seem pretty solitary, require rather intensive bonding etc.

Thank you for your interesting pics and stories and wish you son well with his obsession I believe you have done him proud in every way. His Xmas Greetings on his worthy site I also reciprocate extend to you and families.:thumbs:

Kind regards Peter.

Thank you Peter,

I believe that there are very strict rules in Australia and you are not allowed to keep birds of prey at all. In America you can keep one when you have done a course and more when you become a master falconer but in the UK you can keep as many as you want regardless of if you can keep them alive or not and you don't have to have done any courses whatsoever. I am a great advocate of the American way which would meet the birds requirements first.

Happy Christmas to you and your family too... in fact HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE IN AUS.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).