• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A bit of practice

Frederick

Registered
First Name
Frederick
The dreaded skew. A tool that's wonderful to use once you "master" it. I've been trying to "master" it for years. I'm not to bad but still get bit if I get cocky. Well done Frederick. Turning small with a skew is a +1 in difficulty.

Thank you Terry. Hope you're OK and feeling well. I have learnt that before I touch the wood with a skew I stop, take stock of what I am about to do and then I have to concentrate extremely hard. I certainly have not mastered it, but I would love to. You are very correct though, become blase and it will bite, but I love it.....

Cheers
Frederick

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Thank you Terry. Hope you're OK and feeling well. I have learnt that before I touch the wood with a skew I stop, take stock of what I am about to do and then I have to concentrate extremely hard. I certainly have not mastered it, but I would love to. You are very correct though, become blase and it will bite, but I love it.....

Cheers
Frederick

It like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget.:thumbs:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
A few years ago, the missus was working and I was home alone, I decided that I would learn to use these horrible skews rather than let them hang on the wall gathering dust.
I got a long piece of square pine, and attempted to turn it round, after a fair while, with a lot of dig in, swearing and cursing, and frequent jump out of the of flying wood, it was easy. I started with an 1" skew once I was confident with that, I started with a 3/4" skew, when that was good I tried the 1/2" once that was mastered it is my favourite for turning pens.
Now the 1" and 3/4" skew hang on wall gathering dust.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).