• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A modern day Quill

BradG

First Name
Brad
A modern day take on a Quill, with desk stand.

Thanks for looking :smile:

Attachments

• posted.jpg
    posted.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 65
  • quill.jpg
    quill.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 65

BradG

First Name
Brad
Thanks for the kind words all. looks good on the display shelf!

That's a beeautiful pen, Brad!!:thumbs::thumbs:
Did you turn that down from stock?

Yep, started off as 15mm bar. The base was turned from a scrap piece I had left over from another project

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Read the title scanned down mental pic of a large drill quill or one off a mill.

What a pleasant surprise an updated bells and whistles dip pen without the need to dip. A beaut conversation piece and why not.

I am half way through making a special purpose quill for my Taig mini lathe tail stock so I had a lot going on.

Love it Brad.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Very nice:thumbs:how well does the stand keep out the air that will dry out the nib?

Peter

BradG

First Name
Brad
Very nice:thumbs:how well does the stand keep out the air that will dry out the nib?

Peter

Very well, as the entry point is tapered to match the profile of the pen. If I make more of these in the future no doubt il line them with rubber to prevent scratching and to assist sealing.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Very well, as the entry point is tapered to match the profile of the pen. If I make more of these in the future no doubt il line them with rubber to prevent scratching and to assist sealing.

I wonder if polymorph would be useful to get a close fit?

Peter

BradG

First Name
Brad
I wonder if polymorph would be useful to get a close fit?

Peter

That's an interesting thought Peter. Id be concerned with the width of the nib being wider than the section though. I am thinking of recessing a grommet within.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).