• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Advice please

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
OK i had a splurge at the weekend and bought a few blanks from across the pond....question is...i have bought some polymer clay blanks....now i presume these will need spinning and can i then sand these? What with(best)? and what if any finish?
All help gratefully recieved....please:thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I made a few turned and sanded it just as you would acrylic but easier and sealed it with acrylic lacquer micromesh and Auto glem

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
My understanding of polymer clay is that it is actually a form of plastic, not clay at all - so as Woody says, treat it as you would a resin blank. I have noticed though that some folks on the US sites seem to finish theirs with CA - can't tell you why - maybe there is some porosity to them. Toni Ransfield is the polymer clay queen - if they are her blanks I'm sure she would be happy to advise you. Or contact the retailer you got them from. (PTS I suspect - Jim Pratt or John David Jones will help you)

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
My understanding of polymer clay is that it is actually a form of plastic, not clay at all - so as Woody says, treat it as you would a resin blank. I have noticed though that some folks on the US sites seem to finish theirs with CA - can't tell you why - maybe there is some porosity to them. Toni Ransfield is the polymer clay queen - if they are her blanks I'm sure she would be happy to advise you. Or contact the retailer you got them from. (PTS I suspect - Jim Pratt or John David Jones will help you)

Thanks Phil....they are Toni blanks....not cheap but a 'how could i resist moment':whistling:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Thanks Phil....they are Toni blanks....not cheap but a 'how could i resist moment':whistling:
Looking forward to the piccies Mark. What kits are they for. (did you notice she's making them to fit Mistrals now too?):bwink:

(PTS???? Doh! I meant SPS)

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Cheers again Phil...i didnt notice any for the Mistral but i might have to look harder...it was SPS i was shopping with its where i get my Aarons from....i have a couple of jnr gent ii and a bolt action on order but i will proberbly use a couple of Dans Alpha's instead:thinks:

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
OK i had a splurge at the weekend and bought a few blanks from across the pond....question is...i have bought some polymer clay blanks....now i presume these will need spinning and can i then sand these? What with(best)? and what if any finish?
All help gratefully recieved....please:thinks:

Yes they will require some lathe worth and not that much. They are really easy to do in fact. With Toni's blanks there is at most some light sanding with a super super fine grit and even this part is OPTIONAL. This sanding is 800-1000 grit and its to help clean up surface blemishes if they exist, it's not required as most are near perfect and this is not needed. Sometimes there can be surface imperfections like finger prints, dust or the like that can show up.

As you may or may not know 'polymer clay' is not a true 'clay' in the sense of earthenware clay (pottery) but more like a plastic, in fact it is made up of PVC, once it is baked it's very durable.

What we recommend is a good CA finish, using thin to coat everything then use medium to thick to fill in low spots and provide even coverage. Then you just sand it as you normally would a CA finish and vola! your Toni Ransfield polymer clay pen blank is done and ready for assembly.

One thing that I would like to point out is do *NOT* spray the blank with accelerator that contains acetone. Acetone is an evil product and it will eat plastic and metal alike. Put the CA down *FIRST* then spray with accelerator.

Also with the launch of Toni's new site I have taken the liberty of adding some info to the site. Some very well researched technical info can be found here. Also I have most of the sanding article complete and there are links to that on the site.

Some eye candy of things I am working on and hopefully will be finished today!

IMG_8176.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
OMG That is a very interesting link...a very indepth and knowlagable report into CA....i have saved a permalink to read some of the other articles thanks again Ed:thumbs:

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
Oh now that is eye candy:drool::drool:
I hope the blue one is available...:thumbs:

On Toni Ransfield's site we have made it so you can click on any of the products and select the pen kit, the flower color, the insect. Some products has less choices than others but you can pick whatever color for any kit that is listed that suits YOUR needs. Also shipping is international to. Let me know if there are any problems with the site and I will fix it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).